Sign in with
Your question

Someone know how to fix my drivers?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2010 5:20:47 PM

I had a gt240 which I replaced with a shiny new hd6850. The first hd6850 had heat problems and the drivers wouldn't install, so I RMAed it. The second one didn't have the heat problems and the drivers did install, I was happy that it was fixed. So while I was playing BFBC2 (biught it to celebrate my new hd6850) this error pops up saying that my graphics drivers are not responding. Everything is plugged in and there are no things with ! marks in the task manager. Did I do something wrong? (I am not the tech dude) If I did how do I fix it. or even if I didn't do anything wrong, still, how do I fix it?

More about : fix drivers

December 15, 2010 12:21:15 AM

What driver version did you used?
You can try update it with the latest one on AMD site.
Also, what is your current PSU?
m
l
December 15, 2010 12:59:51 AM

1) I used the drivers that came with the card.

2) The PSU is MORE than enough, it is an OCZ 600w PSU. No problem with the PSU, it runs very quiet under load.
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2010 1:00:47 AM

HostileDonut said:
1) I used the drivers that came with the card.

2) The PSU is MORE than enough, it is an OCZ 600w PSU. No problem with the PSU, it runs very quiet under load.

You should probably get the newest drivers off AMD's site... The drivers that come with cards tend to be quite old (although with such a new card it shouldn't be a problem... better update them anyway)
m
l
December 15, 2010 1:05:30 AM

Alright, I am at my grandparents right now so I will not have access to my machine until Thursday or Friday, when I get home I will try that. By the way, Should I uninstall all my current drivers and then install the newest ones? Can you give me a link to the drivers because I have looked and couldn't find them.
m
l
December 15, 2010 1:13:28 AM

HostileDonut said:
I had a gt240 which I replaced with a shiny new hd6850. The first hd6850 had heat problems and the drivers wouldn't install, so I RMAed it. The second one didn't have the heat problems and the drivers did install, I was happy that it was fixed. So while I was playing BFBC2 (biught it to celebrate my new hd6850) this error pops up saying that my graphics drivers are not responding. Everything is plugged in and there are no things with ! marks in the task manager. Did I do something wrong? (I am not the tech dude) If I did how do I fix it. or even if I didn't do anything wrong, still, how do I fix it?

i assume you installed the driver that came with the package? if so try to remove it and download 10.11 from amd website. and also REMOVE ANY NV DRIVER(former gt240 driver) INSIDE THE SYSTEM BECAUSE THIS MAY ALSO OCCUR NO DISPLAY ISSUE&RANDOM CRASH. so beware
m
l
December 15, 2010 1:26:27 AM

Normally, you just can overwrite the old driver with the new one (just install the new one).
What is your OS?
Here's the link, choose your card and OS, after that the site will gives you link to download the latest driver:
http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

But make sure the old Nvidia GT240 driver is completely uninstall (wipe out).
m
l
December 15, 2010 1:32:59 AM

wa1 said:
Normally, you just can overwrite the old driver with the new one (just install the new one).
What is your OS?
Here's the link, choose your card and OS, after that the site will gives you link to download the latest driver:
http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

But make sure the old Nvidia GT240 driver is completely uninstall (wipe out).

i doubt he did not remove that gt240 driver properly. these problem are mostly occur by driver conflict, especially on amd card that's install on the system that formerly had nv card due to amd's sensitive(poor) driver coding .
m
l
December 15, 2010 1:41:35 AM

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads....

ATI Radeon™ Video Card Drivers

ATI Catalyst™ Application Profiles

just pick witch OS you have from list then it should take you to another page and on that page download AMD Catalyst 10.12 Preview for Windows 7/what ever os you have– Featuring the new Catalyst Control Center.

The drivers that came with the card are outdated and had some problems so AMD released a hot fix call 10.10eHotfix for people using Win7 32bit and 64bit, they also released a 10.10b hot fix for people using Win xp 32bit and 64bit, But now that 10.12 is available it offers full support for the HD6850/HD6870.
m
l
December 15, 2010 1:44:12 AM

cheesesubs said:
i assume you installed the driver that came with the package? if so try to remove it and download 10.11 from amd website. and also REMOVE ANY NV DRIVER(former gt240 driver) INSIDE THE SYSTEM BECAUSE THIS MAY ALSO OCCUR NO DISPLAY ISSUE&RANDOM CRASH. so beware

I have an Nvidia intigrated GPU which I installed the drivers for. I have windows xp. Should I uninstall the intrigrated video too? If I do uninstall the intigrated it gives me a ! in the windows manager.
m
l
December 15, 2010 1:52:54 AM

HostileDonut said:
I have an Nvidia intigrated GPU which I installed the drivers for. I have windows xp. Should I uninstall the intrigrated video too? If I do uninstall the intigrated it gives me a ! in the windows manager.

you might install whole package driver when it came with gt240 which that may be include chipset. also amd 5/6 series are known to have problem on xp platform along with nv's chipset it just gotten worse. i'd suggest you to get a amd chipset based mobo and also get a vista/win7 or xp x64/server 2008 if you want to stop debug on amd driver this is necessary. if you got an intel platform then get intel chipset based mobo as well.

m
l
December 15, 2010 4:44:48 PM

Well, I do not have the money for a new mobo. :(  I am asking for windows 7 for Christmas though, if I get it would it fix the problem? Also I did not get if you told me to uninstall the intigrated video or not, should I?
m
l
December 15, 2010 4:49:53 PM

HostileDonut said:
Well, I do not have the money for a new mobo. :(  I am asking for windows 7 for Christmas though, if I get it would it fix the problem? Also I did not get if you told me to uninstall the intigrated video or not, should I?

well only one way to go to avoid that problem is to disable igp from the bios then uninstall the igp driver from the system and reinstall amd driver again. but you also need to get win7 as 5/6 series are having creepy symptom on xp.

good luck!
m
l
December 15, 2010 5:18:02 PM

Is the IGP the Intigrated Graphics Processor? Were would I go in the BIOS to disable it? (I don't want to mess anything up :lol:  )
m
l
December 15, 2010 5:22:02 PM

HostileDonut said:
Is the IGP the Intigrated Graphics Processor? Were would I go in the BIOS to disable it? (I don't want to mess anything up :lol:  )

it's easy to to do it and it won't mess up the display as your display signal are coming through from the discrete card and igp is mostly idle but the driver will still working and cause driver conflict(but i think it is also a dirty trick Nv put it in to prevent nv chipset own to have other brand gpu.) go and disable it and remove the driver then you will be fine.
m
l
December 15, 2010 5:48:46 PM

Thank you for all the help and puting up with me :lol: . When I get back home on Thursday I will try to disable it if I have the setting.
m
l
December 15, 2010 7:00:47 PM

HostileDonut said:
Thank you for all the help and puting up with me :lol: . When I get back home on Thursday I will try to disable it if I have the setting.

post the troubleshoot when you're done :) 
m
l
December 16, 2010 6:41:59 PM

I can only set my onboard GPU to auto or always enable. :( 
m
l
December 16, 2010 6:47:12 PM

HostileDonut said:
I can only set my onboard GPU to auto or always enable. :( 

post the bios screen shoot with your camera. is it award bios , phoenix bios or AMI bios? i'm not get use of award or phoenix though...
m
l
December 16, 2010 7:07:26 PM

it is a phoenix BIOS.
m
l
December 16, 2010 7:22:41 PM

I installed the 10.12 version for Catalyst, but I can not find it in my computer. Should I use my disk? :heink: 
m
l
December 16, 2010 8:24:51 PM

HostileDonut said:
I installed the 10.12 version for Catalyst, but I can not find it in my computer. Should I use my disk? :heink: 

NO don't use the disc just save the 10.12 to your desktop or run it instead of saving it, the disc is out dated...
m
l
!