One Specific Router Signal Missing

maamaabau

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hi everyone,

I've been somewhat successfully using the internet in my apartment for a couple months now - the router is in my landlady's apartment, which is next door.

However, two days ago, my laptop couldn't pick up our router's signal. I see a bunch of other routers in the neighborhood, but the one I'm supposed to be using doesn't show up. Meanwhile, all of my roommates have been able to pick up the signal and use the internet. And all the networks in the vicinity are secured ones (which require a password for access), so I can't mooch off someone else's connection.

Wondering if it was my computer/wireless card's problem, I took my computer to a local Starbucks, and I was able to find the signal and use the internet there. What's wrong?

Please let me know if you might have any idea what's wrong!

maamaabau

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
(my mother posted another thread and i'm using her account - i thought i'd explain the question myself for clarity's sake)

G

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

maamaabau

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Thank you very much for all the help. I got connected again! I went to ask my landlord to reboot the router and redo the connection. And yes, it works again! Thank you once again!