Sign in with
Your question

New graphics card killed my sound, kinda, very weird.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 5:52:03 PM

Hello,
I bought a new graphics card for my pc and all that jazz, it's not really important. But I play my pc on my HDTV through a HDMI cable. Now, there's no sound whatsoever from my tv, but if I plug my headphones into my pc, there's PERFECT sound. I've tryed setting HDMI to default, I am on Windows 7 and I'm getting kinda frustrated :/  Help please.
a c 218 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 6:21:33 PM

What make/model GPU (graphics card) did you install?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 6:31:28 PM

COLGeek said:
What make/model GPU (graphics card) did you install?

Basically, I wanted a new Graphics card for gaming, I got a NVIDIA Zotac 1gb Geforce card. I'm not really sure about the model as I had them to install it, I think it was like a GT5250 or something close to that, sorry I have no significant info. Please note that if I plug my headset into my pc directly, I have perfect sound, it's just from my TV there's no sound. BUT my PC say there's sound in the mixer settings.
Related resources
a c 218 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 6:38:36 PM

You need to verify that whoever installed the GPU installed the S/PDIF audio input cable between the GPU and your motherboard. Without it, sound will not be provided to the HDMI output going into your HDTV.

You could also connect standard speakers to your on-board sound output on the back of your PC (green connector).

Good luck!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 6:47:33 PM

COLGeek said:
You need to verify that whoever installed the GPU installed the S/PDIF audio input cable between the GPU and your motherboard. Without it, sound will not be provided to the HDMI output going into your HDTV.

You could also connect standard speakers to your on-board sound output on the back of your PC (green connector).

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll head down to the shop and ask :) 
a c 218 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 7:07:14 PM

Good luck!
a c 595 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 9:04:54 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the GTS250 does not provide sound through HDMI. If you want sound, you need a 400 or 500 series card.

From a GTX570 review:
"What is also good to mention is that HDMI audio has finally been solved. The stupid S/PDIF cable to connect a card to an audio codec, to retrieve sound over HDMI is gone."
a c 218 U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 9:35:40 PM

17seconds said:
If I'm not mistaken, the GTS250 does not provide sound through HDMI. If you want sound, you need a 400 or 500 series card.

From a GTX570 review:
"What is also good to mention is that HDMI audio has finally been solved. The stupid S/PDIF cable to connect a card to an audio codec, to retrieve sound over HDMI is gone."

But that is what the "S/PDIF audio input cable" does, right? It allows the on-board audio to pass sound via the GPU's HDMI interface to the HDTV (in this case).

More capable Nvidia GPUs and most ATI HD4XXX and higher GPUs no longer require this connection.

December 15, 2010 12:48:32 AM

I can't believe if the GTS 250 has an HDMI port that it doesn't transmit audio ... the 9300 GSO in my wife's HP transmits audio down the HDMI pipe.

Sounds like there's a setting problem someplace. Check to see if you have the HDMI output activated on your audio processor as well. Realtek has a feature for this and I remember having to mess around with it once to get it working. I don't think you need the SPDIF...I may be wrong but I've never plugged one in and haven't needed it.
a c 218 U Graphics card
December 15, 2010 6:06:00 PM

So, ZenxPC, were you able to resolve the issue?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 15, 2010 9:50:00 PM

Unfortunatly, I haven't had the chance to go back to the shop/store. For the time being, I've tryed many things like uninstalling/re-installing stuff like Realtek Audio manager. BUT No luck. Weirdly, out of nowhere on my audio devices, Digital audio had (S/PDIF) next to it, but not anymore. I dunno whether that shows there's an s/pdif already in there, or just a weird random glitch or something :/  Any help is appreaciated greatly :) 
!