Graphics card dead?

krjay

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
I have an 8800gt graphics card. Here is the specs of the computer I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113058

Last night I was playing starcraft 2 and my computer froze. When I restarted it my graphics card was not recognized. I can no longer play any games. I took out the card, it had a little dust in it so I cleaned that out, then I formatted the computer and installed the latest drivers. I've still had no luck. When I start the computer I get a black screen with gray dots on it until I get to the desktop. Could my video card be bad? I thought maybe the fan stopped working and it overheated but the fan seems to still be working.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
try the card in another machine if you have access to one see if it experiences the same issues. then its the card...

could be the pci-express slot ... but your pc only has one so lets hope that isn't it as you'd need a new mobo to get teh graphics card workign which would probably cost mroe than an 880gt

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Yes. Time to RMA the old GPU or buy a new one. Sorry for the hassle. Happens to us all.

Good luck!

Yeah, time for a video card funeral. :( Unless you happened to get one of those few cards that had Lifetime Warranties back then, it's time to buy a new one.

The good news is, there are some AWESOME video cards on the market right now, and price competition between ATI and nVidia is very good right now as well. :)

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i'd still check it just to be sure. its about 99.98% chance its the card and .02% chance to be the pcie slot but it'd suck to buy a new card and it doesn't post still ... very unlikely but if you have another machine to check in it'd be worth the 10 min experiment jsut to be sure before getting a new card