Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Who offer better features among ati and nvidia

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2010 7:35:09 PM

well after thorough research for graphics card i m confused between these 2:nvidia geforce 9800gt and ati raedon 5670. now i am more attracted towards 5670 because of dx11,SM 5 support and low power consumption (my psu is of 450watt).meanwhile i am attracted by the nvidia cuda cores, 3d vision support,physx and good software backup.which card would you prefer and why?
1)please judge among these 2 on basis of features only and not on performance as at res(1280 1024) and casual gaming both are equal for me.
2)also tell which is better compatibile for my system and
3)what good things of nvidia am i going to lose if i purchase ati cards.
4) what are benefits of dx11?
my system specs are as below:
system :intel d945gccr mb
processor :intel core2duo e4300 1.8 ghz
ram: 1.5 gb
monitor :17" lg lcd
games that i would like to play are : prince of persia 4 and 5,fifa 11,assassins creed 1 nd 2.
besides gaming i would use it for autocad 2011

Best solution

a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 14, 2010 7:41:53 PM

The 9800GT requires a 6-pin PCI-E connector which oftentimes ends up being the reason why the HD5670 is chosen over it.

For the features you mentioned; 3d Vision would be unusable for you unless you bought a 120mhz monitor and used the glasses. CUDA Cores are the exact same as ATI's Stream Processors (SP's), they don't mean anything. PhysX would be unusable for you as the 9800GT is a weaker card, and at the moment I'd venture to say the software backup is quite similar (the HD5670 rarely has any problems). CUDA is only nice if you do professional graphics or FOH.

1. Features? None of the nVidian features you listed are going to be of much use to you. They'd both end up being equal (+ATI's updated APIs and DX11).
2. Depending on your PSU, the HD5670
3. Nothing that you would have been able to use.
4. You can play games in the DX11 API, increasing visual quality and sometimes performance. If the transition loses performance then the 5670 will struggle.

Ultimately the 9800GT offers better performance, but it's erratic and the HD5670 will sometimes surpass it.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 7:52:32 PM

^ all good adviice.

none of your games are very demanding on a system at your resolution

i might go 9800 GT just for autocad

the 5670 for your resolution would be fine for gaming but cuda for autocad is nice. its why i picked a gts 450 over a hd 5770
Related resources
December 14, 2010 7:53:40 PM

shadow187 said:
The 9800GT requires a 6-pin PCI-E connector which oftentimes ends up being the reason why the HD5670 is chosen over it.

For the features you mentioned; 3d Vision would be unusable for you unless you bought a 120mhz monitor and used the glasses. CUDA Cores are the exact same as ATI's Stream Processors (SP's), they don't mean anything. PhysX would be unusable for you as the 9800GT is a weaker card, and at the moment I'd venture to say the software backup is quite similar (the HD5670 rarely has any problems). CUDA is only nice if you do professional graphics or FOH.

1. Features? None of the nVidian features you listed are going to be of much use to you. They'd both end up being equal (+ATI's updated APIs and DX11).
2. Depending on your PSU, the HD5670
3. Nothing that you would have been able to use.
4. You can play games in the DX11 API, increasing visual quality and sometimes performance. If the transition loses performance then the 5670 will struggle.

Ultimately the 9800GT offers better performance, but it's erratic and the HD5670 will sometimes surpass it.

thank you very much for such awesome and quick reply. now 1 last doubt if you dont mind:
i have seen in my friends pc in nvidia control panel we can adjust settings for for different games do ati control offer such things?asking just for knowledge.i have no doubt in buying 5670 now.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2010 7:57:13 PM

ati has catalyst control its very similar
December 14, 2010 8:00:05 PM

Best answer selected by gamer01.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 14, 2010 8:02:12 PM

Yes, you can force CCC to use different qualities when different games are run.

a c 212 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
December 14, 2010 8:04:04 PM

I wouldn't choose either of those cards for AutoCAD 11 ....

CUDA in AutoCAD is reserved for the Quadro series cards which greatly increases AutoCAD performance. Movies, Adobe CS5 and other intensive GFX also benefit greatly from CUDA.

A said above, the features you mention only really come to life in the higher end cards......If it were me, I'd opt for a GTS 450 / 5750 at minimum.....
!