Can i keep my old display card and have a new one at the same time?

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Ive now made my choice of display card for my computer (Nivida Ge-force GT 240) I have the proper specs and everything but now its came down to how will I boot it if I have two display cards? I can Google around for some answers but to save time and for a more clearer answer Ill ask here in the forum.

When i insert my new display card in the PCI port (which isn't used by my other card) How would I have my computer boot up from that display card and still have the second one (with all its drivers) in case i might need it? I do not want to pull out my older card and I do not want to remove all the drivers to it but instead, have two cards that can be ran at different times when i feel like it and not have any effect on my computer. The PSU will handle both cards just fine so no worry there.

PSU Max watts = 350
Vista x32 OS (should support both cards natively)

Btw the previous display card isnt exactly a display card at all but instead its a chipset that i would prefer not to remove to save me the trouble from accidently breaking anything.

Solution
The current card is a 'chipset', in other words, it's integrated into the motherboard. Removing it would be an extremely bad idea.

In most cases simply navigating to the BIOS and looking around, you should a 'Graphics Master' or something titled similar. Change this setting to PCI-E. The onboard video will not activate and instead it will display through the graphics card.

Is it a PCI slot you have or a PCI-Express? As far as I know there are no GT240's for PCI.

Also keep in mind ATI's similarly priced HD5670 performs better than the GT240 and is just as safe to run on your power supply. Once again, assuming your port is indeed PCI-E.
"Btw the previous display card isnt exactly a display card at all but instead its a chipset that i would prefer not to remove to save me the trouble from accidently breaking anything."

??? so you are telling me you have onboard video??? you can not remove onboard video. If it is onboard video, you have no reason to worry, just put the new card in. you also have no reason to ever use the onboard video again.

The current card is a 'chipset', in other words, it's integrated into the motherboard. Removing it would be an extremely bad idea.

In most cases simply navigating to the BIOS and looking around, you should a 'Graphics Master' or something titled similar. Change this setting to PCI-E. The onboard video will not activate and instead it will display through the graphics card.

Is it a PCI slot you have or a PCI-Express? As far as I know there are no GT240's for PCI.

Also keep in mind ATI's similarly priced HD5670 performs better than the GT240 and is just as safe to run on your power supply. Once again, assuming your port is indeed PCI-E.

Solution

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Sure, thanks for the quick reply. Well my reason to ever revert back to my old display was in case my new card might unexpectedly die or the slim chance of it not even working at all!

Morkintash

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010

Yes its PCI-E x16. I just call it PCI for short; sorry for the confusion : )
And I knew there was something for the graphics options in the bios but i just dont like toying around in there (afraid i might do something wrong) but since its in the bios i can google instructions on how to switch over to another card. In some cases i might not have to switch over since most PC games have the option in the graphics & display menu to simply switch over during there session then switch back when im done playing. I only want the new card for World of Warcraft since the chipset models are no longer supported according to blizzard and according to my own computer (BSOD) xP