New PCI sound card suggestions

chambo360

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
i have been having terrible trouble with the onboard audio on my motherboard(ASUS M4N68T-M LE V2) and i have got to the point where im just gonna buy a PCI sound card as i have a slot left for one. i am not looking for anything fancy or pricey, i will only be using it to listen to the odd MP3 and for youtube videos.

What would you suggest??

p.s i want something that will work with windows 7 and free of hassle (driver wise).

thank you

muz_j

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
What about a PCIe SoundBlaster X-Fi ?

I like mine, but appreciate Creative p1ssed off a lot of people with their antics over the last few years. They p1ssed me off too. But the PCIe X-Fi Titanium's a really good gaming sound card.

What about a PCIe SoundBlaster X-Fi ?

Wouldn't recommend; ASUS and HT Omega have higher quality cards for less, and Auzentech has better cards still geared toward gaming [for whatever advantage that brings now that EAX is basically dead]. The only Creative card that makes sense is the Titanium HD, and even that is a hard sell...

The cheapest option that I would recommend is the ASUS Xonar DS, though I generally recommend the slightly more expensive ASUS Xonar D1 or HT Omega Striker, as they are more well rounded cards. The DG may be cheaper, but if more geared toward headphone use instead of analog out.