MSI 870a-g54 fx not starting up

erk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I am currentl trying to replace my old board and cpu.

■i got a MSI 870a-g54 fx board
■a amd fx 8150 am3+ socket
i had to buy som new ram aswell:
■2 x 4gb corsair vengance 1600mhz ram

along with my old psu and grafics card:
■750w
■Nvidia geforce gtx 260

ive put it all together but it isn't working.

The board lights up, the cpu cooler is spinning, harddrives are powering up, but my screens do not light up, they turn on but then go to sleep, no image is displayed. I get no beep noises either to help me identify the problem.
Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

Erik

erk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I have reset the cmos.

i have disconnected the graficscard and the rams individually.

Theres still nothing getting displayed on my screens or any beep noises from the computer

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Do you have a speaker plugged in to the motherboard header (not the back panel)? If you don't, you won't hear any beeps (unless the motherboard has a built-in speaker, which is uncommon). What PSU do you have? If it was a cheap junk one, it could easily be the culprit. Do you have the graphics card and CPU power cables plugged in correctly?

erk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Hi, thanks for the answer, here's an update:

Ive plugged in to different speakers, one which i pulled from an old cabinet just today(though im not 100% certain any of them work)

my psu is an Energon EPS-750W its a reasent purchasse(within 6 months) and pulled it from my old setup where it worked well, so i figured it would do the just here.

Yes i am confident the power cables for the graphics card are pluged firmly in.

Erik

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
From what I've seen (on a quick search), Energon PSUs aren't much good. Try a different one – Seasonic, Corsair and Antec are all good brands. Can you ensure that your BIOS version supports that CPU? Was the CPU power cable plugged in correctly (and with an 8-pin if it is an 8-pin plug)?

erk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Unfortunatly i dont have access to a different psu :-\

I testede the pc speaker on my old setup sø i now know for sure that that one does work.
The power cable is an 8 pin. the one from the psu is a 2x4 pin one that is designede to slide together to form an 8 pin connector. :D

The thing with the cpu is that the standard edition of my board does not support my cpu. but the fx edition(which is the one i should have) does.
How do i tell whichance bioscan version supports my processor?

Erik

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
In which case I would be very surprised if the BIOS didn't support that CPU. Can you try it out of the case (on an insulated surface) with only a keyboard plugged in, one memory stick, no graphics card, no HDDs and no DVD drive – basically as little as possible (CPU, motherboard, minimum RAM, CPU cooler, speaker, power, keyboard – in case it errors on no keyboard). See if it beeps like that – it should (for no graphics card). If it doesn't beep, then suspect either PSU or motherboard (although try the other memory stick first). If it beeps for something else, then check that out. If it beeps about no graphics, turn it off, add the graphics card and a screen, and see how it goes.

erk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Yes thats my thoughts to.

Thanks for the help btw, its always nice to get a second opinion on these things in case i have over looked something or haven't thought of something, its much appreciated :)

Ive tried it out of the box, with two memory sticks in, i dont think it supports only one. ive tried with and without graphics card, with and without any ram. ive tried the bare minimum: motherboard, cpu, psu, pc speaker. i cant get it to make any beeps at all.

Ive tried getting the motherboard replaced and its still the same, so now im working on getting the cpu replaced, if that doesn't work either, i will have to invest in a new psu and see of that helps anything.

Erk

kevlarkev

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Simple thing I know- Have you put the CMOS Jumper back in its original position?
If this is not the problem then check to see you have the AM3+ Update for your board...you will need the AM3 old CPU installed to apply the drivers ect

Good luck

erk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
well i got the new processor today pluged it in, still the same :-/
So disheartened

honestly this time around i pluged the cpu in, put all the things together, turned it on concluded it didn't work and put it away.

i will have to be more thorough tomorrow or possibly friday when i have more time and is in better spirit.

i will keep you posted on updates.

i'll remember to try the reset of the CMOS Kevlarkev.
It also had crossed my mind that it might be an outdated version of the bios, ofcause i dont have an older am3 cpu to plug in while i update so i have no idea how to check for that, thanks for the advice though, ill see if i cant get my hands on one :)

Erk

erk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Ok so i stumbled across something.

according to the manual the 3.4 revision supports am3+ processors and as far as i can tell my board is only version 3.1, so am i right in thinking i need to update the bios on my mb in order to make my processor work? can someone verify this?

its the exact same board as on their page:
http://dk.msi.com/product/mb/870A-G54--FX-.html
so when you zoom in on the board(and when i look at mine) it says ms.7599ver: 3.1 am i on to something here or am i just getting my hopes up for no reason?

Erk

kevlarkev

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012

Erk,

I think your on the right track, as it is likely to be the BIOS version not being compatible with AM3+ CPU's As I mentioned before, you will need the AM3 CPU in the motherboard while you flash you motherboard to accept AM3+ CPU's...Althought it seems like a lot of hassal its not, its just getting hold of a AM3 CPU while you do the flash. Buy a cheap one of eb@y and the sell it on :)

Good luck matey, and let us know the outcome

Kev

erk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
ok ill give that a try, luckily danish law allows you to return anything bought online within 14 days, i dont like abusing this right but i dont see how i have much of a choice here.

Erk

Gamefreak2291

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
I'm having this exact some problem except I'm using the FX-8120. I gave up on messing with it and sent it back to the place of purchase for a replacement because its supposed to support my CPU and I paid for a motherboard that does. Like Erk, I don't have access to an older CPU to flash my BIOS, so I'll most likely send it in to MSI to flash it. If you happen to get it working I'm very eager to hear what you did.

-RyanMD

erk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
ill keep you posted ryan :)
Its good to know im not the only one with a similar problem, my google-fu failed me when i tried to look for similar cases.

Erk

erk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
ok, i bought an amd athlon II x2 3.2 GHz cpu and pluged that one in. That got the system booting. I updated the bios and booted up the system. When that was working fine i verified that the bios update was successful i shut down the system, took the small cpu out and pluged in my amd fx 8150 processor and booted up the system. the system booted and everything seems to be working well :-D

so RyanMD? updating the bios did the trick.

PreferLinux and Kev thank you both very much for your input :)

Erk

mikedk

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hey, I'm having the exact same problem here, same MB FX model, completely new, using an FX 4100 CPU and Geforce GTX560Ti same problem nothing shows up on screen, only the sscreen goes to sleep. Could it be that the motherboard doesn't support nvidia cards? I see a lot about ATI crossfire setup in the manual, but nothing about nvidia....nothing at all. I'm also from Denmark Erk

Also got a Corsair TX650W PSU

erk

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Hi Mikedk

the thing as i figured it out is that the MB doesn't support the FX series processors until after you upgrade the bios. So you will need a lower end processor so you can upgrade the bios after that the fx processor should work, thats what i did with mine

Erk

rrruby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Either send it back to the store or get an rma. I have the same motherboard powering a phenom II x6, and i've recenty flashed the bios to its latest version, but i cant say there was anything about new cpu support on it. MSi seem to be quite helpful, rma'd my board after my psu blew it (literally) up, and they fixed it and sent it back. If you can get hold of a bigger psu, maybe a mate? I would check the psu too, as i realised mine wasnt powerful enough (was a 650W).

Regarding the beeps, you need a beeper in the mobo, and it should bleep when the gpu isnt connected properly (as i found!)