Sign in with
Your question

i3 2100 or i5 2400 or wait?

Last response: in CPUs
May 17, 2011 1:43:44 AM

I am looking to build a new PC (currently using Aspire 5920G) ... question is do I wait for SB-E? Or get 1 now, for the CPU, I am thinking of i3 2100 or i5 2400. The difference between the 2 I see are.

- 2 cores vs 4 cores
- HT vs no HT Tech
- Faster GHz
- Virtualization Tech with Directed IO (Need Q Series chipset to use?)

I will be using for development workstation. The most resource intensive apps are: Photoshop, Visual Studio, maybe Maya/Blender in future. Maybe games if I see 1 I like. Recent games I like games like are Darksiders, Team Fortress 2

Or perhaps I wait for Sandy Bridge E? Thats end of this year right?

If I wait, should I upgrade my Laptop HDD to Western Digital Black 500GB? Will solid state be overkill?

More about : 2100 2400 wait

a b à CPUs
May 17, 2011 5:17:27 AM

SB-E will be considerably more expensive than either of the choices you mentioned. You will likely see considerable improvement from a 7200 RPM drive, other than that, not enough info. Use the sticky which includes budget, timeframe, part preference...
m
l
May 22, 2011 5:28:24 AM

etk said:
SB-E will be considerably more expensive than either of the choices you mentioned. You will likely see considerable improvement from a 7200 RPM drive, other than that, not enough info. Use the sticky which includes budget, timeframe, part preference...

Hmm,

Budget: I guess something arnd the price range of i5 2400 is fine, I am looking for something value for money. If performance of i3 2100 is abt the same as i5 2400, then I'll be better off with 2100?

Timeframe: I am hoping to get a new PC in 6 mths ... Ivy Bridge will be 1H 2012?

Part Pref: If you mean brand? None. Features I am looking for are:

- Performance: both have same GHz, i3 has 2 cores with HT, i5 4 cores, but currently most apps don't use more that 2 cores? I wonder if HT will "compensate" for performance diff when apps start using more cores?)
- Value for money (If there is something else I can put my money in to have better performance for $$ its will be better)
- Power efficiency (I see i3 2100 has a lower TDP)

Usage

- Ubuntu Linux (maybe Windows in Virtual Box/Machine or Dual Boot)
- Development: Visual Studio, NetBeans, Aptana, VIM (I guess IDEs wont use too much resources, except Visual Studio)
- Design: Photoshop/GIMP, Illustrator/InkScape, Blender
- Others: Virtual Box
- Games: Currently dont see much I like, but sometime ago, I play things like Team Fortress 2, Darksiders

If you need more info let me know
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 5:55:29 AM

Best performance for the money is easily the Core i5 2500K, in which case Ivy Bridge wouldn't be much of an upgrade anyways so you could skip it
m
l
May 22, 2011 9:14:04 AM

bearclaw99 said:
Best performance for the money is easily the Core i5 2500K, in which case Ivy Bridge wouldn't be much of an upgrade anyways so you could skip it

Would Ivy Bridge work with a motherboard/chipset like H57? If so perhaps I can do away with 2100 then upgrade only if needed. Won't 2500K be an overkill or more for overclockers? Its abt x2 of 2100 in terms of price ...
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 9:26:55 AM

i think most people have no actual idea on what to recommend to you.
So you want to use MAya photoshop and what is your workstation for?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 2:00:59 PM

TDP does not equal power consumed, could be more or less. It's a measurement of max power dissipation for heat sink design. Hyperthreading will help some as things become more multi-threaded (though many apps are already there in my opinion) but for virtual machines, HT does not work well, so if you spend a lot of time in them, I'd say go for the 2400.
m
l
May 24, 2011 3:11:13 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
i think most people have no actual idea on what to recommend to you.
So you want to use MAya photoshop and what is your workstation for?

Actually, It's for web development mainly. But sometimes, I will need to design or edit others designs in Photoshop/GIMP.

Blender, similar to Maya, is main for hobby. I like 3D and will like to learn it in my free time
m
l
May 24, 2011 3:12:49 PM

Best answer selected by jiewmeng.
m
l
!