IR setup

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 2, 2005 11:04:29 PM

I did a simple test and found out that my Finepix E550 does not filter out
the IR. Now the question is how to setup something to filter out visible
light. Any pointer please.

More about : setup

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:04:30 PM

tangwong wrote:

> I did a simple test and found out that my Finepix E550 does not filter out
> the IR. Now the question is how to setup something to filter out visible
> light. Any pointer please.

lets look at the problem.

you want to takew ir pictures.
you want to filter out the rest of the light.

google words: buy ir filter

http://infrareddreams.com/how_to_shoot_ir.htm

"...Wratten #89B, Wratten #88A,
Wratten #87, and Wratten #87C filters..."

where to buy...

http://www.calumetphoto.com/
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
http://samys.com/
February 2, 2005 11:04:30 PM

"tangwong" <tangwong@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I did a simple test and found out that my Finepix E550 does not filter out
> the IR. Now the question is how to setup something to filter out visible
> light. Any pointer please.

The cheapest IR filter is a Ilford SFX gelatin. These can be cut and taped
over your lens. I don't think the E550 takes a screw on filter. If you have
a glass filter you could tape that in place as well.
February 2, 2005 11:44:54 PM

I experimented with ir using my Sony F828. See Infrared Experiments at:
http://www.photoprojects.net/sony.html
Gene

tangwong wrote:

> I did a simple test and found out that my Finepix E550 does not filter out
> the IR. Now the question is how to setup something to filter out visible
> light. Any pointer please.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:53:40 AM

I was unclear in my original post. I know what filter to use but my camera
does not take filter. I am wondering if someone has information on how to do
this.

"Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message
> tangwong wrote:
>>
>> I did a simple test and found out that my Finepix E550 does not filter
>> out
>> the IR. Now the question is how to setup something to filter out visible
>> light. Any pointer please.
>
> lets look at the problem.
>
> you want to takew ir pictures.
> you want to filter out the rest of the light.
>
> google words: buy ir filter
>
> http://infrareddreams.com/how_to_shoot_ir.htm
>
> "...Wratten #89B, Wratten #88A,
> Wratten #87, and Wratten #87C filters..."
>
> where to buy...
>
> http://www.calumetphoto.com/
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
> http://samys.com/
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:53:41 AM

tangwong wrote:

> I was unclear in my original post. I know what filter to use but my camera
> does not take filter. I am wondering if someone has information on how to do
> this.

actually, it does, and you do.

when I checked fujifilm.com,
I found your camera, and your manual.
surprise, but there was the answer.

check page 108.

AR-FEX02 is the adapter you want.
the filters will be 49mm.

> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message
> > tangwong wrote:
> >>
> >> I did a simple test and found out that my Finepix E550 does not filter
> >> out
> >> the IR. Now the question is how to setup something to filter out visible
> >> light. Any pointer please.
> >
> > lets look at the problem.
> >
> > you want to takew ir pictures.
> > you want to filter out the rest of the light.
> >
> > google words: buy ir filter
> >
> > http://infrareddreams.com/how_to_shoot_ir.htm
> >
> > "...Wratten #89B, Wratten #88A,
> > Wratten #87, and Wratten #87C filters..."
> >
> > where to buy...
> >
> > http://www.calumetphoto.com/
> > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
> > http://samys.com/
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:37:25 AM

Thanks!

> tangwong wrote:
>>
>> I was unclear in my original post. I know what filter to use but my
>> camera
>> does not take filter. I am wondering if someone has information on how to
>> do
>> this.
>
> actually, it does, and you do.
>
> when I checked fujifilm.com,
> I found your camera, and your manual.
> surprise, but there was the answer.
>
> check page 108.
>
> AR-FEX02 is the adapter you want.
> the filters will be 49mm.
>

>> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote in message

>> > lets look at the problem.
>> >
>> > you want to takew ir pictures.
>> > you want to filter out the rest of the light.
>> >
>> > google words: buy ir filter
>> >
>> > http://infrareddreams.com/how_to_shoot_ir.htm
>> >
>> > "...Wratten #89B, Wratten #88A,
>> > Wratten #87, and Wratten #87C filters..."
>> >
>> > where to buy...
>> >
>> > http://www.calumetphoto.com/
>> > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
>> > http://samys.com/
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:49:47 PM

"tangwong" <tangwong@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I did a simple test and found out that my Finepix E550 does not filter out
> the IR. Now the question is how to setup something to filter out visible
> light. Any pointer please.

I did a hack on a Wein IR transmiter , it turned out to
to be just a normal flash whit a RED - GREEN & BLUE
pice of plastic filters stacked in front of the 'light-emitter'.

So if you try stacking folies whit thees 3 colores in front
of your objectiv you may have an IR filter :-)

A,P,
February 3, 2005 1:49:48 PM

"A.P." <nobody@telenor.invalid> wrote in message

> "tangwong" <tangwong@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > I did a simple test and found out that my Finepix E550 does not filter
out
> > the IR. Now the question is how to setup something to filter out visible
> > light. Any pointer please.
> >

> I did a hack on a Wein IR transmiter , it turned out to
> to be just a normal flash whit a RED - GREEN & BLUE
> pice of plastic filters stacked in front of the 'light-emitter'.
>
> So if you try stacking folies whit thees 3 colores in front
> of your objectiv you may have an IR filter :-)
>
> A,P,

If you stack Wratten 25,47, and 58 (red,blue,green) colour seperation
filter, you block all visible light and allow IR to pass. I am surprised the
Wein meter didn't just use a deep red Wratten 29 type filter.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:57:04 PM

"A.P." <nobody@telenor.invalid> wrote in message

> "tangwong" <tangwong@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > I did a simple test and found out that my Finepix E550 does not filter
out
> > the IR. Now the question is how to setup something to filter out visible
> > light. Any pointer please.
> >

> I did a hack on a Wein IR transmiter , it turned out to
> to be just a normal flash whit a RED - GREEN & BLUE
> pice of plastic filters stacked in front of the 'light-emitter'.
>
> So if you try stacking folies whit thees 3 colores in front
> of your objectiv you may have an IR filter :-)
>
> A,P,

Hmmm.... Calling this an 'IR filter' may be wrong.
It's more an 'Visible light cutout filter'
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 8:37:38 PM

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:57:04 -0800, "A.P." <nobody@telenor.invalid>
wrote:

>"A.P." <nobody@telenor.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "tangwong" <tangwong@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> > I did a simple test and found out that my Finepix E550 does not filter
>out
>> > the IR. Now the question is how to setup something to filter out visible
>> > light. Any pointer please.
>> >

>> I did a hack on a Wein IR transmiter , it turned out to
>> to be just a normal flash whit a RED - GREEN & BLUE
>> pice of plastic filters stacked in front of the 'light-emitter'.
>>
>> So if you try stacking folies whit thees 3 colores in front
>> of your objectiv you may have an IR filter :-)
>>
>> A,P,
>>

>Hmmm.... Calling this an 'IR filter' may be wrong.
>It's more an 'Visible light cutout filter'

Maybe it just depends on how technical you care to be, for the
intended use here, 'Visible light cutout filter' would be basically
the same as an IR filter. Technically IR filters should be called NIR
filters. This is because consumer/pro level CCD's or CMOS
sensors/cameras have virtually no ability to convert/record InfraRed
but can & do convert/record Near InfraRed light.

It would be nice to have a true digital IR camera so I could
take thermal IR pictures of my house & car in the winter & record the
hot spots were heat was being lost. Might be nice to have the same
type of IR video cameras that both the Police & the Military use to
track suspects or the enemy but if I recall correctly those cost about
$100,000.00 USD each minimum. Way too much money for me & even if I
could afford it, I could not justify the expense.

It would be a fun but limited toy though!

Respectfully, DHB

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
!