Sign in with
Your question

Asus Ares crossfire problems with drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2010 12:56:25 AM

alrighty just got my 2nd ares and 1200w psu, i installed the 2nd card and psu without removing any drivers i was running the drivers it came with and at that point was the best it was running and started going downhill when i re-installed those drviers and so on to 10.10 and up, i have been fueding with drivers the least of problems ive had was before i started doing other drivers / driver sweeper where all 4 gpus were detected but i could not control fan speed on the second card unless i turned crossfireX off then the second cards fan would kick up to match the others, i believe on 10.10 drivers it would only detect 3 gpus and then after those problems any driver i would try i could not access catalyst control center , as im typing this i have un-installed drivers and ran driver sweeper so im running on nothing right now(is that bad?)

somebody please help

specs

Windows 7 ultimate

i7 980x 3.33ghz

v6gt heatsink

Asus Rampage 3 extreme

OCZ 6 gig 1600mhz 6-8-6-24 (right now its at 1066 because of the shutdowns ill change it to stock when i get the 2 ares working, unless told otherwise)

im pretty sure im on a western digital 1T 7200rpm hard drive

2x Asus Ares

antec 1200w high current pro PSU

a c 218 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
December 15, 2010 1:32:52 AM

I would suggest you re-run driversweeper and remove your current Catalyst install completely. Restart and install Catalyst Suite 10.12.

Regarding your memory timing, 1333 is the default DDR3 speed. I suggest you set both your CPU (if applicable) and memory to standard default/auto settings in BIOS until the system stabilizes.

Good luck!
m
l
December 15, 2010 1:54:01 AM

COLGeek said:
I would suggest you re-run driversweeper and remove your current Catalyst install completely. Restart and install Catalyst Suite 10.12.

Regarding your memory timing, 1333 is the default DDR3 speed. I suggest you set both your CPU (if applicable) and memory to standard default/auto settings in BIOS until the system stabilizes.

Good luck!

okay i put ram up to stock settings cpu was already at its stock, as i said before i tried using 10.12 drivers twice and it gave me blue screens after windows started up so i would like to stay away from it. whats the worst that could happen here when messing with drivers? a bluescreen? should i just start trying drivers until i get one that works?

*edit* also the last thing i did before setting my ram was un-install what drivers i had and ran a driver sweeper
m
l
Related resources
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
December 15, 2010 2:29:35 AM

If you have an earlier version, like 10.10, go with that. Worth a shot.

However, I suggest you get stable with one GPU and add the second afterward. The crashes could corrupt your HDD.
m
l
December 15, 2010 6:09:39 AM

COLGeek said:
If you have an earlier version, like 10.10, go with that. Worth a shot.

However, I suggest you get stable with one GPU and add the second afterward. The crashes could corrupt your HDD.

stable? hah i wish (hdd might be corrupted) aside from the problems i had with 10.10 ,i got to the point where i had to start doing restore points and now cant logon to windows for than 10 seconds without geting a blue screen so tomorro im gonna do a fresh install of windows
m
l
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
December 15, 2010 11:17:29 AM

If you have a backup, I would suggest it is time to start from scratch. No OCing, one GPU, and a fresh install. Set everything to default/auto (CPU and memory).

Get Windows 7 installed and updated and then install the second GPU. Get everything rock solid stable before you OC anything. I would only recommend OCing the CPU and GPUs. OCing memory does very little in terms of increasing performance, but it can make your system unstable and is generally not worth the headache.

Sorry for your hassles. Been there, done that, wasn't fun, but you seem to be at this point now.
m
l
December 16, 2010 12:40:15 AM

COLGeek said:
If you have a backup, I would suggest it is time to start from scratch. No OCing, one GPU, and a fresh install. Set everything to default/auto (CPU and memory).

Get Windows 7 installed and updated and then install the second GPU. Get everything rock solid stable before you OC anything. I would only recommend OCing the CPU and GPUs. OCing memory does very little in terms of increasing performance, but it can make your system unstable and is generally not worth the headache.

Sorry for your hassles. Been there, done that, wasn't fun, but you seem to be at this point now.

so far i have installed win7 on a backup drive with all the mobos drivers and windows updates and ill just pull what i can from the main, as for OC'ing i plan on keeping everything at stock (i dont really need to OC with this setup) so it will last for years to come, but does setting my ram at 1600mhz and 6-8-6-24 count as OC'ing? because thats the stock stuff its rated for
m
l
December 16, 2010 1:43:15 AM

okay i have (hopefully) successfully installed my video drivers i used the ones that came with the card because they have worked the best before and after this fiasco, i currently have 1 card in, for some reason in CCC it said my card was locked when i first bought it was not locked and this is the first time i have ever had to press that button to unlock since i used a 4870x2, i dont OC at all i just want to manually set the fan speed. should i attempt to put in my 2nd card? if so got any specific directions i shoulk take?
m
l
December 16, 2010 4:17:27 AM

still getting problems after installing 2nd card and having to do restore points, at one point i had both cards in was able to do stuff in windows but for some reason CCC had the crossfire tab but there was no option to turn it on or off and in diagnostics it said my drivers were non existant or not working properly, so i installed the drivers that were on the disc and then i started getting problems so i removed the second card did a restore point and i think was able to get into windows so removed the first card and swaped it with the second to see if it was the problem as im typing this the 2nd card is in by itself and thus is not the problem it has to be with crossfire / drivers

somebody please help i cant get ahold of asus support
m
l
!