Sign in with
Your question

5 motherboards all not working

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • AMD
Last response: in Motherboards
January 17, 2012 4:40:05 PM

I somehow have gotten trapped in the PC twilight zone. I am on my 5th new MB to replace one in for warranty repair. The common problem (including the "repair" one) is not entering the Bios or to boot. It is hard to list componets, I have swapped out so many; we have 5PCs in home.
AMD Phenom ll 4x - 955,965,980s
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

MBs 1. ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
2. ECS A885GM-A2 (V1.1) AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
3. GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
4. ASRock 870 Extreme3 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

VCs
1. 1 x MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
2. XFX HD-489X-ZSFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
LG optical dvd

I am breadboarding , my latest is the GB MB #3, I get the right beep codes including the short beep after VC , power up and see a flash screen briefly but can not get in the bios (many trys-did get a flash of main bios screen once only) power off connect HD try it get no boot, same flash screen then black.

I have tried different componets (all work in other PCs) clear cmos/ battery out-in, re-connected all wires several times, close inspection of MB (no damage visible). hours on phone with tech support from all manufactures lol, returned refunded all MBs except #3. I am still hopeing will work.
Asus sabertooth was my first choice it took several resets to enter bios on first board , installed OS all updates service packs an OL-game (worked fine) did not turn off did re-boot many times, was on about 3-4 days on breadboard. After first hard shut down it failed to boot or go to bios, RMAd it got replacement had good beeps failed to enter bios, called Asus 2hrs.-with tech and he said will send new updated bios chip. I installed new bios still cant get in bios, 2-3hrs. on phone with Great techie NoGo RMAd for refund.

I bought the other MBs all to no avail the only one to boot was the first Asus. Is this some problem with current componets? I dont know what MB to try all the reviews ect have so many with this same problem. Should I just keep RAMing until I get a Sabertooth that works?

Any suggestions will be appreciated, I have spent many hours reading all the posts here and on other forums.
I do need this PC up soon or will have to just buy one something I have never done in 35+yrs of build my own PCs

More about : motherboards working

a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 4:56:00 PM

Weird story.... I have been building computer out of junk for 15 years and never heard anything quite like that...

Are u using the same CPU and ram for all tests? If so is it possible one of those parts is bad?

Could it be electrical noise from the wall outlet, or surge protector? I have one outlet in my home that if a computer is plugged into it makes the computer blue screen.

One of my buddies is an electritian and stated the ground was not connected in the outlet so he replaced the outlet and ran a new wire to the breaker panel, but that outlit will still cause computers to blue screen. Currently I have 8 computers in my basment i call "mini lan the 3rd friday of the month the guys from my office come over and play bf3 or mw3". All Core2s and core 2quads. If any of those get plugged into the "ghost outlet" as we call it now the computer crashes.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 7:20:23 PM

Have you tried a different keyboard? What about different RAM?
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2012 7:36:57 PM

Hey guys, yep I have tried all 3 CPUs and each of 7sticks of ram in all 4 slots, 3 video cards and bought a usb keyboard after other 3 didnt make a difference, is on a dedicated circuit just for PCs that is well grounded, the crux is the beep codes are good with any of my componets and they all work in other PCs.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 7:44:02 PM

Try a different outlet, rather than just assuming it is good because it is a dedicated circuit. Also, could it possibly be grounding issues with the case?
m
l
January 17, 2012 7:57:47 PM

Okay try this set up the bread board then boat up with the absolute minimum Just your mouse and the most basic LCD monitor you have at you'r disposal no mouse , no extra screens , no extra USB devices.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 7:58:42 PM

Whenever I see multiple especially different MOBO's fail you need to look at common and failed components.

I assume that you used Thermal Paste??!!
I assume that you properly installed the HSF??!!

There's a Z-E-R-O percent chance that all of those MOBO's are BAD!

Generally, the #1 thing that ruins a MOBO and fast is a bad PSU or Short. Try only the stock HSF.
m
l
January 17, 2012 8:42:09 PM

Tks Jaquith,
you are wrong tech support for all 4 manufactures declared their product faulty! Yes i use artic silver, am using stock HSF did try the thermalright HSF I had on PC before origonal MB failed; beep codes do not indicate componet problem. One thread on this form states "it is very hard to get into bios you have to hit delete just after splash screen to get in" and this was referring to 990XA-UD3. I have also tried 3 PSUs 1 new plus tried all 3 in another Pc and guess what they work fine.

Look at retail outlet reviews , forums on manufactures web sites, several "geek sites" and you will see many many new MBs have this exact problem. So "zero" is just an estimate of faith, bless your heart.

I have purchased 17 motherboards fron Newqegg alone with no RMAs untill this critter bit me lol.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 17, 2012 8:46:44 PM

There's a <2% of a bad MOBO so 2% of 2% of 2% of 2% chance all were 'bad' -- that is unless you PSU destroyed them! - Period!

Anytime I see 2X much less 3X+ DOA then I 100% know the User destroyed them.

Replace your (ALL) PSU or PSU's before you go through this again...
m
l
January 17, 2012 8:51:47 PM

Three other PCs are connected to the outlet I am using, I have 2 dedicated outlets in this computer room both have gfi circuit breakers and direct wiring that feeds only that outlet and nothing else is connected to them.

On breadboard I have MB-CPU n HSF "with Grease"- 1 stick ram- 1 video card- 1 keyboard; checked beeps for each componet as it was instaled. No HD DVD or other componets, only CPU fan .

Thanks for thinking about this I do need some help with what MB do I try Now, aye!
m
l
January 17, 2012 8:57:23 PM

jaquith I dont want to bump heads about you telling me Im destroying the MB I must have gotten lucky on the first 50 builds, I just want this board to work. After 1 bad board I have been extremely carefull not to be the problem.
m
l
January 17, 2012 9:44:10 PM

Faulty Powercord? Do you have cats, they chew threw it? And you forgot about one last thing... Are you testing this issue inside a case? Have or are you shorting out the board?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2012 12:34:38 AM

jaquith said:
There's a <2% of a bad MOBO so 2% of 2% of 2% of 2% chance all were 'bad' -- that is unless you PSU destroyed them! - Period!

Anytime I see 2X much less 3X+ DOA then I 100% know the User destroyed them.

Replace your (ALL) PSU or PSU's before you go through this again...

It is <0.00000032% chance, assuming it is <2% for one. But probability dictates that it will happen once for every 313 million times it doesn't – not impossible, but extremely unlikely.
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:39:28 AM

Ensure proper grounding of yourself. It IS winter time here where we live and humidity is extremely low when its cold. Your house should have a humidifier for the winter months if you live in the northern colder regions. The south has been getting some cold weather as well, so perhaps you are unaccustomed to lower humidity where you live.

My next suggestion would be NOT using a surge protector. Some can throw off voltages and actually cause ripple. Be sure that the light on the surge protector is ON (if its off it has probably been compromised, aka tripped).

Thirdly, try one stick of ram. Alternate between them. Don't connect a hard drive or CD rom. None are needed to obtain BIOS.

I would put my money on the power supplies. Both could be bad. I had two Enermax Liberty PSUs of different voltages die around the same time and one of them displayed symptoms similar to those you describe. The one popped and died, while the other was underpowering on one of the lines. Try buying a PSU tester, they're very cheap. If there is a good bit of wavering on the voltage, or if it is a little low or seems sharply off then the PSU should not be used.
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:51:56 AM

Sorry obdi, but Jaquith is correct.

The odds of all four of those mobos being bad is extremely small.

Assuming four mobos and a generous five per cent DOA rate:

One in about sixteen thousand.

My guess: power supply, or as others have said, grounding.

Or a bad wire or connection. Keyboard. SATA cable......DVI cable? Ground looped ethernet cable connection?

There is some common component you are using when trying to start those boards that is fail, and it's not the boards.

Note: as for the manufacturers taking them back: it's just quicker and easier for them to do that, run diagnostics, return to you. Odds are board will be good. They may send you a "new" one, and if the board you send in checks out, repackage it for sale.

Good luck, hope you get it going--would love to hear eventual diagnosis.
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:55:55 AM

Quote:
I would put my money on the power supplies. Both could be bad. I had two Enermax Liberty PSUs of different voltages die around the same time and one of them displayed symptoms similar to those you describe.

This is a great thought.

Are your PSUs plugged into UPS, battery backup uninterrupted power supplies?

If not, your area could have had a power surge, a sag, a spike, all sorts of things.

Power strips are pretty useless, and even in a best case scenario, they work exactly one time, then have to be replaced.

Dirty power can fry a power supply.

m
l
January 18, 2012 10:01:27 AM

You know all the suggestions about things that do not apply your ideas about MB % of failures, sata cables, ethernet cables, UPS, cats ect seems like you havent read what I have done so far. I to cant believe 5 MBs all bad from Newegg but I dont think I fried them, see test below.

Just for a test I put some old 939 pin parts together and it posted went into bios and booted right up.

when testing I connect the parts (see breadboard) then disconnect everything after fail. Look the MB over very carefully with magnifying glass for any sign of damage, all parts live in antistatic bags when not being tested or used.

All parts have been tested by hooking up to other PCs, and they all work. The only parts that fail are the MBs. The first Sabertooth failed to go to bios or boot the first time it was powered up, several checks and restarts later I got into bios and then did OS install and all MS updates rebooting many times ran it 3-4 days at first hard shutdown (slept 7 hrs) it failed to boot or enter bios and never did again. After 2-3 hrs. on phone with Asus tech support, tried everything he wanted me to, Asus declared MB defective.

This PC is #6 in my house, all built by me, is used for medical billing we do on weekends, and as my 2nd gamming box is no rush to have it but I dont like the billing girls on my main gammer. I have a ton of extra parts at least 8 PSUs 1 new that all work, 4 keyboards extra, 3 video cards extra, more HDs than sense lol, believe me this is not from bad power, failed CPUs or dead video. When a new MB will not enter bios it is manufacture error.
m
l
January 18, 2012 10:26:48 AM

NXNXN
thanks for your interest, you are right it is weird for 5 MBs to be bad even more so to have the same problem yet that does not make Jaquith's assumption correct.

power is comming right off the outlet no power strip involved, have tried both PC outlets and theo ther PCs in the room are running from the 2 dedicated outlets.

Asus tech spent a total of 6-8hrs. on phone with me 5 calls I think, even sent a new bios chip 2 day express "free" when new chip failed to enter bios we did all checks again only to send that MB directly to Asus thec support address so they could test it .

I will post any solution and final answer on this thread.
m
l
January 18, 2012 10:28:56 AM

forgot to mention I a using a grounding strap and test it has continunity every time
m
l
January 18, 2012 1:24:10 PM

Quote:
power is coming right off the outlet no power strip involved, have tried both PC outlets and the other PCs in the room are running from the 2 dedicated outlets.

Asus tech spent a total of 6-8hrs. on phone with me 5 calls I think, even sent a new bios chip 2 day express "free" when new chip failed to enter bios we did all checks again only to send that MB directly to Asus tech support address so they could test it .

hi obdi, let's code this as a 99205 for each of the four boards, add some modifiers, and throw in a surgical pack for the new BIOS chip.

First PC I builded: 440bx chipset! Awesome. And before that: putting the old ram chips that look like roaches into an AST add on card--regardless, I do understand that you are extremely competent......not even a consideration.

Just like in medicine though: what's the root cause here?

Sorry about reviewing simple things--pilots, pretty competent people, use checklists to make sure they put in fuel (one out of four airplane accidents: not enough fuel), closed and locked the windows, and, my favorite, put the wheels down before landing. Gear up landings happen all the time. In fact, it is considered a "not if, but when" item for every pilot who flies a retractable gear plane.

I am NOT thrilled to see you using raw juice from the wall. I am a big believer in UPS:

http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=29

I live in Southern California--not too third world yet. But: one massive power glitch last year knocked out the entire grid for a couple of days. The power surge took a nuclear plant (San Onofre) off line. There were two other lesser incidents as well--the multiple UPS units we have here for four PCs, Xbox, DVR, etc: all protected.

The power supply tester suggestion above: a good idea I think.

As for other points of failure: I doubt you got EMP'd, unless you have alien neighbors, or, they come from The Matrix. Static? You said you used grounding strap.....

The wall outlet? I don't recall if you tested that. It could have developed some problem, and when you plug in any of your PSUs, they say "screw it, bad juice". All the UPS units I have indicate any problems with the wall juice.

By the way, if nothing else, I do think that UPS units are essential....just sayin. Maybe others here will not agree but.....have saved us on many an occasion.

So: would recommend: test wall output. Test power supplies.

Is there some minor wire you have to hook up, like the power/standby/etc leads that is not working? Power supplies have to have an indication there is a load for them to work--one of those wires that plugs into the power/HDD LED/standby/on-off leads onto motherboard? They are kind of fragile, and be damaged easily. Maybe one of them came loose, meaning the little square thing is not connecting to the metal inside the wiring insulation.

Please do let us know when you diagnose it--and I know you will.

Thanks

m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 18, 2012 1:44:02 PM

NXNXN said:
I am a big believer in UPS:

http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=29

I live in Southern California--not too third world yet. But: one massive power glitch last year knocked out the entire grid for a couple of days. The power surge took a nuclear plant (San Onofre) off line. There were two other lesser incidents as well--the multiple UPS units we have here for four PCs, Xbox, DVR, etc: all protected.

Just observing.

I live in the brown out/black out/lightning capital -- Florida. Last year I recorded over 53 events on my UPS. Anything electronic that's plugged-in and has any value is on an UPS. When we moved here it was an expensive Learning Curve. As it is I have a whole house surge suppression, and it does little. Frigging lightning came through our house (CAT 5/Cable/Phone) junction box and wreaked havoc; the bolt jumped circuits. I feel like the guy plugging dike leaks. Heck I've looked into a whole house UPS and Generator; too expensive. :??: 
m
l
January 18, 2012 3:08:23 PM

zloginet asked if you have tried booting this problematic PC outside of the case, maybe without the front I/O Panel connected too.... have you?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2012 3:10:35 PM

Have you had the outlets tested to insure that ther ground wire and the nuetral wire have not been reversed at some poin (had this in oune of my outlets).

Good on ground strap - Humidity below 40 is bad for ESD, around 20 it begomes deady to electronic. Wear even when removing boards/devices from bag. And for RH <35 clip to a ground - the case is not a good ground unless it is tied to the ac ground.

Guys, on testing PSUs. Thoes PSU testers are a go-no-go tester at idle currents. To test the PSU you need an O'scope and a load. O'scope is expensive, But a load - can make one out of an old toaster using the wire (may glow red so dont touch to see if it is hot - lol).

On UPS, yes they are great and I use; But, unless it is the expensive model that regulates the AC it just passes the AC straight thru unless the Input drops below a rated value (typically 90VAC) and only clips spikes above a given value.

@ jaquith - How often do you replace your grounding rods. One strike on rod + high sand content + heat = glass. Grounding rod now coated with glass, a great insulator. @ one location they bought a Junk car, buried it and used that for their earth ground. No Joke.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 18, 2012 4:23:49 PM

RetiredChief said:
@ jaquith - How often do you replace your grounding rods. One strike on rod + high sand content + heat = glass. Grounding rod now coated with glass, a great insulator. @ one location they bought a Junk car, buried it and used that for their earth ground. No Joke.

A direct strike to the grounding rod would be required, but afterwards I had our electrician check everything. I know he checked the ground, main box plus I have a couple sub-panels, all GFCI, primary outlets, outdoor and landscape lighting, you name it. I'm paranoid about my family. Obviously, our home network/cable/etc box had damage and was full repaired. Scared the crap out us, we were home when it happened.

Regarding UPS, none of them are cheap and all of them are good APC models (not the cheap ones); e.g. APC XS 1500 others are Back-UPS Pro and Smart-UPS.
m
l
January 18, 2012 4:24:53 PM

I would definitely try a different power supply even if the old one tests good. It will not hurt to try.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2012 6:56:32 PM

V
My comments about UPSs was directed at OP, I know you well enough to know you are up on UPS.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 18, 2012 7:19:21 PM

^Ahh, my bad :) 
m
l
January 19, 2012 8:12:28 PM

This problem has been resolved by Gigabite tech.. The usb and ps2 ports are not getting power durring post, I should have noitced the mouse and keyboard leds going off at power up. Anyway that was it not MB shocked bad PSU ect was simple defective probuct.
m
l
January 19, 2012 8:38:26 PM

hi obdi--

that is 1 mobo--what about the others?

OP is
Quote:

5 motherboards all not working

The Asus, ECS, and Asrock? Same problem?

Original issue was with Asus Sabretooth as I recall, and I am sorry if that is not correct.

Note: I am not trying to bust your chops or anything--nor is anyone else--just trying to learn, could come in handy some day. A bad gibabyte mobo? Yeah, figure on one percent or so.

Five, though: that was what piqued everyone's interest here.

m
l
January 20, 2012 2:42:53 AM

NXNXN;
Thanks for your interest i dont have a "bust my chops attitude" some of the answers posted seemed like they hadnt read the whole thread. LoL

I cant say if the others had the same problem I dont think the Sabertooth did but I returned them after finding no solution.

The Asrock had messed up beep codes indicating MB short beeps that went forever.
The ECS did show the main screen of the bios 2 or 3 times but it faded to black instantly.

I was pleased with tech support from all the manufactures and was suprised about that after reading on different forums about bad service. Newegg has been great about paying return shipping and refunding 100%.

I really dont know what to do now I can wait for Asus to return my orginal MB from warranty repair it should be ready now or soon it is an Asus M4A79XTD EVO that stopped posting after 1 yr. or buy another MB to try. I really wanted the Sabertooth to work.
m
l
!