Metal flakes from case got in mouse/keyboard

tempstar

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Hi,

I just finished building a new PC, and I noticed that there were a few tiny metal particles from the inside of the case that were on my hand. They must have flaked off from screw threads or something inside the case. Anyway, I didn't notice these before using my mouse and keyboard.

Do you think they could wreck my mouse, keyboard, or computer somehow? These were really small little particles... Should I be worried about them?

Thanks in advance

Solution
G
Nope, I shouldn't think so.

If those flakes were from screws, they're likely to be iron, so see if a magnet can pull them out. Otherwise, just turn your keyboard upside-down and smack it hard a good few times.

Mice are sealed shut and (usually) can only be opened with a screw driver, so there's little chance of these metallic particles of doom playing havoc with the innards of your electronic rodent. :p
G

Nope, I shouldn't think so.

If those flakes were from screws, they're likely to be iron, so see if a magnet can pull them out. Otherwise, just turn your keyboard upside-down and smack it hard a good few times.

Mice are sealed shut and (usually) can only be opened with a screw driver, so there's little chance of these metallic particles of doom playing havoc with the innards of your electronic rodent. :p

Solution

tempstar

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. Even if (by some freak chance) something were to happen to the mouse/keyboard, it woud not wreck the rest of the PC, right?

G

Relax...nothing's gonna happen. Don't lose any sleep over it.
And no, it won't wreck the PC.
Keyboards are usually spill-proof these days - if a spill can't break it, a few slivers of metal definitely won't.
In the highly unlikely scenario that something does happen to your keyboard or mouse, just RMA them claiming that they were defective (I assume that since the machine's new, they are under warranty).
Alternatively, you could try opening up your keyboard and cleaning it as 'christop' suggested. Would probably void your warranty, though.

TRENDING THREADS