Some questions, please

Vxshifter

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Hello all :hello: :hello:

I've just bought a brand new Pc from a very nice shop near me, and I was wondering would the Phenom II x4 965 run well with a 5870 card or would it bottleneck and if it does by how much.

Also how well would this set-up work in games like COD: black ops, Starcraft II ect..

lastly would i need to replace the 5870 any time soon?

Specs:

Kingston 4GB 1333 MHz
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 motherboard
620Watt Seasonic
Samsung 32mb/7200rpm

THANKS! :bounce: :bounce:

BTW I'll be getting the Pc next week

No the HD5870 is still a great card. You just could have done slightly better for money. With the reviews out now the HD6950 is only very slightly more powerful than the HD5870. It does have some other advantages like a bit more current A/V features, better crossfire scaling and it should overclock better but it's nothing to be that upset about(assuming you got the HD5870 for about $300.)

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
The 5870 is still a kick-ass card! The 6950 is slightly better, but that doesn't mean that the 5870 is crap.

There are so many GPU options available today that people buy a card and end up thinking "man, that one may have been better". It ain't like that. The 5870 ruled the block for a good while. Rest assured, there will be something new which will be better than the 6950. That's the deal with technology.

So don't fret, my friend.....your rig is good enough to max many game out.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

In this case, his mobo doesn't support crossfire, so he's alright on losing that advantage. That was the first thing I was gonna post, but then I saw his mobo. :)

Rest, I'm in humble agreement!

Vxshifter

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

Yep I got it for $ 330 aus, so thats good :D

5400rpm is kind of slow for a main drive. That speed should mostly be used for storage drives. It won't be THAT bad but it will be a bit sluggish comparatively with tasks that need to read/write a lot of data.
What you may want to consider actually is a small solid state drive for the operating system and frequently used applications. They aren't too expensive these days and really speed things up even compared to 7200rpm drives.

TRENDING THREADS