Crossfire + Eyefinity Gaming build

Riouken

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Approximate Purchase Date: 4-6 Weeks - Im waiting on SB fix

Budget Range: 3000 before rebates ( I have 4000 to spend but I would like to get a new desk and Chair and if I can squeze it in a Logitec G940 and G930 with the last 1000.00)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Eyefinity Gaming, TrackIR, Fraps, General Computer tasks

Parts Not Required: Need everything, I am doing a total new build, the only thing I am reusing from my old system is my G13.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: SB CPU/MB, AMD Eyefinity - AMD is the only option for the display set up that I want ( 3+1 )

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I had a good year and I am getting a large bonus from work, So it is time to build my Dream computer. I have been on a multi monitor set up for a couple of years, I game on my main screen and I keep Web,Ventrillo,Gtalk, e.t.c up in the second screen. Thats why I am going for a 3+1 monitor setup.

I am mainly looking for help making sure my parts are in order and compatible, as well as any tips for Eyfinity/cfire. I have been reading up the last week or so on Eyefinity( I am aware of the Driver problems with cfire and Eyefinity together. But I am willing to take a chance and I am comfortable trouble shooting and fixing problems.

One question I do have is should I go ahead with two 6970's or if the 6990's are out in time do you think that that would be a better option. The only thing that worries me their is even more driver issues.

I could go with one 6970 but I would rather have more GPU's to handle turning up the details to where the games look great as well as the hit that you take when Frap's is running.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I am looking at so far:

I plan on going with a I7 - 2600k and the top of the line Asus p67 when they get them fixed.

I will be using the SSD for OS and games and the Western Digital HDD for Fraps storage and saving. The Samsung F4 for backups and general storage. ( I am up for any suggestions for improvement here, I think this will be the best set up but I am curious if there is a better solution.)

I will be buying a DVD burner, I just haven't decided on one yet. (I do not want BlueRay.)

Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811129100

SAPPHIRE 100311SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Item #: N82E16814102915
(x2)

ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor
Item #: N82E16824236052
(x4)

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Item #: N82E16820148348

Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136792

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822152245

Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with ...
Item #: N82E16817371024

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
Item #: N82E16820231314

Logitech G510 Black USB Wired Game Keyboard
Item #: N82E16823126100

Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser Gaming Mouse
Item #: N82E16826104261

1,500$ is all you need. Please refer to the link in my siggy. You don't need two 6970's when you could just get two 6950's and that'll perform any game at max in this age. Plus you can always unlock if you need more power.

Any other things just refer to the siggy.
Oh by the way, the 6990 is just around the corner, you may want to wait for that.
C300's suck price/performance and price/gig is just obsurd. They are terrible compared to SF-2000 controllers which are coming out later this year. And you should really consider lowering your budget, w/ the exception of the monitors.

ROG Extremes are stupid, with the design of 32nm, you don't need an "Extreme" board for a crazy overclock. Even the 2500K w/ the Asrock Extreme4 (a 150$ board) can overclock to the 5.1ghz on light air. Your overpricing many things my friend. Expensive is not always better.

Riouken

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009

I miss-spoke about the MB, I did not mean a Asus Maximus IV Extreme or anything I was talking more along the lines of a P8P67 PRO

I said in my post about that I would be interested in the 6990 if it is out in time( Although it is a long post so I don't blame you for not reading it.)

And as for the SSD I know all the price per gig yada yada yada, I have the money and I hate wait times/load screens so I am ok with spending more on a SSD. Also as to the C300 vs SF-2000 Im not bulding my computer later this year I am building one as soon as SB is fixed. If you know of a better SSD than the Crucial that is out now I am open to any sugestions.(I would like the best SSD that I can fit into my budget)

I know I (Can) build a gaming machine for 1500, thats what I have been doing for the last 7 years is building gaming rigs that were not quite the best. I know I am paying dearly for those 10 +/- extra fps that my extra 1000 is buying. Your right I dont (Need) this much of a computer but I (want) those 10 extra fps.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry for not reading about the 6990 stuff you posted. I just scanned.

Well, the Vertex 2, not as fast as the C300 practically starts the OS the same. Sure sure, the stats don't say that. But writes are way better on SF controllers than, I believe the C300 runs, Idelix or something like that controllers. Also Reads are pretty close. So the Vertex 2 would be a cheaper and I suppose more cost efficient choice.

Just get the 6950 in CF, it will be good enough and last you for a while. One thing is for sure technology I don't think will expand any faster after this year. Maybe on the mobile platform, but we really have reached the peak of graphics. No need to get any more eye-candy, the only thing I see that is possible is 3D. Even then, 6950 CF runs any game at max.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Radeon_HD_6950_CrossFire/4.html

As for the 7 years your talking about. Prior graphics were fairly weak, it's just been these past few years that tech has grown in, what seems like, an exponential growth of tech power. I think this would last you at least 3 years minimum. So that's just my two cents.

Riouken

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
Thanks for the info on the Vertex 2 I will do some more research on it.

Your right about the 6950's they get almost the exact same performance as the 6970's in CF while in Eyefinity. I am just worried about the extra strain using fraps and Track IR is going to put on the 6950's. It's hard to find first account reviews/experience's on such a specialized / high end setup.

Don't worry bout that, FRAP really doesn't hit the FPS real hard, especially since lets say you play BCBF2, you get over 100 frames. I think that's room to spare for FRAPs. Fraps also has partly to do with your CPU if I'm led correctly to believe. I am not familiar with Track IR.

TRENDING THREADS