Is my upgrade reasonable enough?

amey_d

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
i currently have a i3 530 with 2tb hd n 4gb ram......im in huge dilemma whether my i3 can run smoothly on such config...is my 2tb hd too much for the processor?also is 4gb ram enough for that hd?...i hv win 7 32 bit home premium..soo cant upgrade the ram .im thinking of i7 870 upgrade coz im really thinking i3 wont perform properly with hd..is my upgrade reasonable enough? Does hd capacity depend on the processor and ram?

amey_d

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
soo i7 870 wont be necessary right? I mstly use it for high end games n wuld wnt a lag free experience ..wuld my i3 530 perform without any hassles? Im realllly confused ..m a noob in this soo plzzz explain in easy words ...thnks :)

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
The size of your HDD does not matter (you won't page out since you already have 4GB RAM) and does not in any way relate to CPU/RAM
The speed of your hard drive may or may not slow you down overall, but is not a big factor in gaming.
If you are using your CPU for graphics (if your monitor plugs into ports on the motherboard) then your Graphics is your "weakest link" is this the case, or do you have a discrete graphics card?

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Your CPU and OS are both limiting you right now: your OS can't address all of your memory so you end up with "~3GB of RAM. If this gives you enough performance, not a problem, but otherwise, you should upgrade to a 64 bit OS and a faster processor. Also depends on screen resolution, I'll assume 1920x1080?