PC crashing with graphical glitches

Maleficence

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
So my PC is screwed.

I have a P5N E SLI motherboard, an e6550 dual core processer, 4Gb ram and an 8800GT running Win 7 64 bit.

I have updated my graphics card, though nothing else.

Now on to the problem, my PC crashes with very strange flickering graphical glitches. I get no error message or anything, but the display gets messed up and nothing responds to anything, including mouse or keyboard.

It initially started while running games, so I suspected a graphics issue, but from this evening it's started to stop the PC from working more then a few minutes regardless of if I play a game or not. When the problem first started this evening, I tried restarting and even on a reset the display glitches were apparent even on the boot-up sequence. I turned it all off, and cleaned it out. The CPU was dusty but the GPU was fine (I'd cleaned it out fairly recently).

Tried a reboot and it seemed to work, but after about 20 minutes of playing a game it crashed again. I decided I would update my GPU drivers, so I booted into safe mode. Shockingly the same thing happened in safe mode, though I could use the PC with the graphical glitches in safe mode. I continued to complete the update despite the glitches making it difficult to read exactly what I was doing.

So I rebooted and after a minute or so it glitched and froze up again.

I checked all components, everything seems to be in place properly. Nothing seemed to be overheating, the GPU was not particularly hot to touch when it crashed, and I havent changed any of the settings recently.

I can't seem to use the PC for any significant stretch of time without it freezing now.

19wish

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
I've used a P5N E SLI for a few months, and I was also experiencing crash problem, keyboard and mouse not responding. I also tried everything. Taking the PC apart many time, changing RAM, looking for the anwser. And all my problem stop the day I change my P5N for a P5K.

So I was yay, was probably just the motherboard, incapatible with a piece of my hardware.

About a year or two later, my wife computer needed a upgrade, so I saw my P5N e SLI in is box on the shelf. SO I bought a new cpu, RAM, PSU, GPU put everything together and guest what!? When she start using it, bam...random crash..again..and again. SO I bought a P5Q and now her computer is stable. My conlcusion: P5N Sli = :non:

That was my little experience with a P5N.

Wallie911

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Personally I don't think its a motherboard issue I have been a computer technician for 4 years now and had a few similar problems. Have you checked you're Gpu for any swollen or popped caps? also what Psu are you running currently?