Help choosing right CPU for ERP / VMWare

genfin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I'm planning to buy build a new system with a 10/100/1000T Gigabit onboard LAN & 4GB DDR3 RAM, no graphics card and may upgrade RAM from 4GB TO 8 GB in future. My budget is around $ 300 for mobo and processor and have 2 options : either go in for a more powerful processor (i5-2500k?) costing $ 200 and a cheap $100 mobo OR get a good quality $ 200 mobo and a cheaper processor like a $100 i3-2100.

Which option of the 2 above makes more sense :

a. Keeping performace in mind
b. Considering the Upgrade path...as I plan to upgrade either the processor or the mobo 12 months subsequent to the release of Ivybridge/2011 platform.

Can you recommend a good processor and mobo along with must have features/specs

Current configuration:

Boot using Win XP O/S and use for surfing and documentation(internal HDD1).

HDD2 has VMWARE virtual machine environment that has a demo ERP package under & WIN SERVER 2003. There are 3 partitions having a 470 GB (Core ERP), 230 GB (CRM) & 220 GB (Business Intelligence) file respectively. These files are images/clone of demo environment installated on other system.

Following are the two scenarios that are applicable:

a. HDD 1: Primary 250 GB SATA II 3.5" HDD, for booting, win xp
HDD 2: 1 TB SATA II 3.5" HDD (internal); 3 partitions, each with one image/clone file 470 GB,230 GB & 220 GB apart
from a VMWare file.

Curent Usage:
Online training (watching and downloading) HD audio & videos on a upto 1 Mbps connection; Almost never play games.
Practicing on ERP demo environments.

I wouldn't plan your next board around Ivy bridge. Intel has required a board change for the last two upgrades. Don't know if you live near microcenter in the states, but they have an asus p67 board with 2500K for $289 today, but it's in stores only. I would also look for the ecs p67 board and see if newegg restocked it. It was only $99 until they sold out.