Headset Microphone Suddenly No Longer Works

zeffof

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I don't know if anyone here can help but my issue is that my headset microphone isn't working. I am using the Steelseries Siberia V2s that use the 3.5mm headphone/microphone jack. They have been working fine ever since I bought them but for some reason they just stopped on me. I've tried unplugging them, cleaning the jack, messing with the sound options in control panel, downloading a new audio driver, system restoring, plugging them into another location on the pc, checking to see if the front panel connectors were still plugged into the motherboard, checking if it was muted or not but nothing. I have tried them out on my laptop and they worked perfectly so that can only mean something is up with my desktop. The pc does pick up when I plug or unplug the mic but for some reason the microphone does not pick up any voices. All you can hear is static and sometimes my friends would say they heard the music playing from itunes, I could also hear some playback from youtube videos when I record and watch a video at the same time. Testing the mic in Skype also shows that the static happens even if the mute switch is on or off. I can confirm that a USB desktop microphone and another 3.5mm jack headset works so it must be something with the drivers or some settings on my computer. I've tried messing with the options with no avail can anyone help me find out what the issue is and how I can get my headset working again.

System Specs:
i5 2500k 3.3ghz
GTX 560 Ti
8gb of RAM
MSI GD-65 Motherboard

I have even tried formatting my PC.