LGA 1156 and 1366..no on board video?

jranaudo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Building a machine that will primarily be a general use desktop (office, internet,etc. No gaming.) but need something powerful for home video editing. Tired of waiting for videos to encode.

I am looking at Core i5 and i7 intel chips it seems there are no motherboards with these chipsets and on board video. Or at least very few.

The reason I want onboard video is twofold. One because a GPU card may increase noise due to an extra fan and two because other than video editing I don't really need a powerful GPU.

What's the deal? Can anyone explain this?

Thanks!

Solution
Graphics cards help for video encoding--so a low end one like a 5670 should get the job done. But it sounds like Sandy Bridge (especially K series since overclocking will own in video editing) would be perfect for you. You should wait for it.

amoghthegamer4

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011

Only Sandy Bridge has onboard video. If I were you, I don't think you game much, so I would just get a cheap GPU like these:

5770 -$100

5850 - $180

6850- $160

I'd just get a 5770 since its quiet and overkill for what you will do. If you have the money, get a 6850 since its quieter and more energy efficient. If you want to go the Nvidia Way here is the best GPU for you:

GTS 450 - $100

I have that same 5770 in my dad's rig and he loves it! he uses it for web surfing and so on, but its whisper silent.

Graphics cards help for video encoding--so a low end one like a 5670 should get the job done. But it sounds like Sandy Bridge (especially K series since overclocking will own in video editing) would be perfect for you. You should wait for it.

Solution