I was given a used laptop 'what does this all mean'??

ididwhat

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hello,
I was given a used HP Pavilion Entertainment series. I have only turned it on and not gone past the first screen. This is what it has on this screen-CPU Stepping = Unknown 1800MHZ BSP Info, 2 CPUs detected 2048 System RAM Passed 1024 DB K2 L2 Cache System BIOS shadowed Video BIOS shadowed ATAPI CD-ROM HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N Fixed disk 0 ST9120821AS Mouse initialized ERROR 0271: check date and time settings WARNING
0251:System CMOS checksum bad-default configuration used
So there you have it, Im sure it makes sense to some of you but its Greek to me. Is it so messed up I shouldnt waste my time to fix it? Hope you can set me in the right direction. Thank you so much.

soest009

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Basicly this means that bios settings have been messed up, and requires user action to set this right by either factory defaults or valid user settings.
The cause of this can be caused by two things :
- Depletion of the CMOS battery
- Turning the system off or resetting while in POST / bad bios settings.

Easiest way to find out what ?
1. Load factory default or fail safe setting from within the bios, reboot and see what happens the next few boots after normal and complete shutdown.

2. If step 1 does not offer direct solution, replace the CMOS battery.

In some cases both these steps do not offer solutions, then further investigation is needed.
It's not unusual the bios is defective on hardware level, however this is rare.