Sign in with
Your question

Drivers Failing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2010 7:13:21 AM

Hello,

I have been using Tom's Hardware for years and I have come to this community for help on some issues with my computer.

At the moment, I have been experiencing lock ups after only a few minutes of gameplay of most games I try to play in fullscreen mode.

It started 3 weeks ago before getting a new CPU, motherboard and RAM. I started having random lock ups. Game would crash and getting the message "Driver failed to respond, but has recovered." It progressed into a more annoying problem. The game starts up normally (no graphical problems), but all within a few seconds, I get various colored squares popping up all over my screen, locking up the game (as well as the cursor) and starts looping the sound in 2 second intervals. Computer completely freezes up and restarts itself. It then starts back up with the first screen pixelated (the first screen being the motherboard load up screen) and the following screens being pixelated as well. Once windows loads up, I finally get the blue screen and then restarts the computer once again. This time, my computer loads up fine. The only time it will occur again is when I start up a game in fullscreen.

My new hardware I received was:

CPU: Intel Core i5 760
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P
Memory: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 (2x2gb) DDR3 1600

Older Hardware:

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 (Catalyst Version: 10.10)
Power Supply: Rosewill 80 Plus Bronze 750watt
Hard Drive: 300GB Seagate (very dated, planning on getting a SSD very soon)

Side Notes: I have been running my 4870 fan at 55% speed: idling at 35c, load at around 50c, the noise does not bother me considering I use Bose q15s to cancel out the fan noise. Also I have the Antec nine-hundred in which has amazing air flow. I also periodically maintain my video card by removing any dust clumps blocking air flow.

After I upgraded the CPU, Mobo and RAM, I did not experience this issue until now.

I also have not yet tried reformating (in which I am preparing to do)

Thank you for your time :D 

More about : drivers failing

December 15, 2010 10:42:27 AM

1. What is your card temp (full load)? It could be an overheating, just check it first...
2. Use another 6pin power connector, i'm pretty sure your RoseWill 750W is came with more than 2x 6pin, right?
3. Re-install driver or use the latest driver, download it from AMD site.
December 16, 2010 5:03:28 PM

1. The card only runs at ~50c at full load since the fan is at a high speed.
2. My card needs a 8pin and 6pin to operate, but I didn't see any damage on the pins on both female and male ends. Wires seem to have no damage either unless there's internal damage, but if that's the case then I would assume the card wouldn't work properly at start up. But I'll still replace them with a fresh new set if the problem acts up again.
3. I got the newest 10.12 drivers installed

I also reformatted my computer and now running Windows 7 Professional. The problem seems to be fixed at the moment, but it may pop up again. I am planning on getting a OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD (or if I save up a little more, the Crucial RealSSD C300 128gb SATA III), but if my video card is starting to fail on me, I'll have to spend the money on a new video card (the GeForce GTX 580).

Thanks for your time :D 
Related resources
December 16, 2010 7:20:04 PM

I know your PSU is more than enough for your card but you can try different PSU (If any), RoseWill PSU isn't too good, next time I suggest you to get better PSU like Corsair, Antec, OCZ, Seasonic, SIlverStone.
December 16, 2010 7:39:52 PM

oh i know, haha. My older PSU was an Antec 850watt TruePower Quattro, but that thing blow up, literally. Thank god it was a good PSU since it protected my hardware. This is just a temp replacement until i get a good name brand again. I got the thing repaired but my dad is using it now, so i have to buy another one.

February 4, 2011 12:27:26 AM

Researched more into the issue. Now that I realize it, this is like many other forum topics having the same issue with BSOD with ati cards from 4xxx gen through the 5xxx. Involves the atikmpag.sys driver failing randomly when ever the hardware acceleration is enabled on the card, causing it to constantly bootup to a BSOD for about an hour or so before it fixes itself. Seems the only solution to this problem is by flashing the video bios and hoping for the best, or to buy a new card (particular not an ati card, but a better supported drivers like nvidia).

This seems to be a common problem among the ATI community in which is disheartening since the hardware is amazing, but just poorly maintained drivers. These are still isolated incidents, and others who get future ati cards may never get this problem, but ever since I had this card, it was rarely doing it, but increasingly became more common through the time I had it. Many others share the same pain-in-the-butt problem and has been with the same cards or the 5xxx gen. The new 6xxx gen seems to be a lot less problematic, but those are still new cards.

So I finalized and targeted the problem, in which still hasn't been solved, but my expensive solution to this is to buy a new video card (NVIDIA GTX 580)
February 7, 2011 10:22:32 AM

i am having the same problems with my hp hdx9000, its got the ATI mobility radeon hd 2600xt card and its doing the same, i have done every thing to try fix this but with no luck, i would like to no if i can change the card in my laptop to get around this issue, any help would be good, i have posted on this site and see this post all seems like ati is c@#p :0)
February 22, 2011 3:26:21 PM

The new video card solved the issue. No more BSOD. I play any game for hours on end and runs smooth. I'm sticking with NVIDIA. I'm able to play older games now as well, in which I was limited to do with ATI. I don't get choppy frame rates as well. I gave my father the 4870, and he was having the same issue with his computer as it did with mine, so its definitely hardware based.

The GTX 580 runs at ~33c idle, ~55c full load, which is WAY cooler than the 4870x2. It's quiet, and efficient. Love the card.
February 22, 2011 6:26:59 PM

Quote:
Researched more into the issue. Now that I realize it, this is like many other forum topics having the same issue with BSOD with ati cards from 4xxx gen through the 5xxx. Involves the atikmpag.sys driver failing randomly when ever the hardware acceleration is enabled on the card, causing it to constantly bootup to a BSOD for about an hour or so before it fixes itself. Seems the only solution to this problem is by flashing the video bios and hoping for the best, or to buy a new card (particular not an ati card, but a better supported drivers like nvidia).

This seems to be a common problem among the ATI community in which is disheartening since the hardware is amazing, but just poorly maintained drivers. These are still isolated incidents, and others who get future ati cards may never get this problem, but ever since I had this card, it was rarely doing it, but increasingly became more common through the time I had it. Many others share the same pain-in-the-butt problem and has been with the same cards or the 5xxx gen. The new 6xxx gen seems to be a lot less problematic, but those are still new cards.

So I finalized and targeted the problem, in which still hasn't been solved, but my expensive solution to this is to buy a new video card (NVIDIA GTX 580)

Same problem I had with my 4890, even though it was stable for about a year beforehand. I actually suspect its a hardware issue, and not a software/firmware/driver bug...Went back to NVIDIA as a result.
!