New GPU for my old rig

Once again I need to choose a GPU upgrade for my PC.

I have a Dell Optiplex 745, which I upgraded with a Q6600 a year ago (sadly i cannot overclock it duo to Dells shitty mobo), it runs with and old 8600GT at the moment.

Few days ago I was browsing some forums and found a XFX 8800GT 512MB for 60 euros. Didnt sound so bad so I did a bit of research, just to find out if it can fit duo to limited amount of space on the mobo.. seems like it barely does.
Now the question is, can I get something better for 60euros (I am a student, so my budget is very limited) ?

I do play some games (Eve Online, Starcraft 2 and some older FPS, like Quake3, Counter Strike, etc) but I do heavy Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, 3ds max work aswell

Thanks for helping!
13 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. yeah 8800gt will every thing well,it has 3x performance than 8600gts.and 60 euros is very good,buy it.however if you want dx11 go with hd 5670 minimum,but if you dont give a damn to dx11 then 8800gt is way to go.
  2. mrjericho1991 said:
    yeah 8800gt will every thing well,it has 3x performance than 8600gts.and 60 euros is very good,buy it.however if you want dx11 go with hd 5670 minimum,but if you dont give a damn to dx11 then 8800gt is way to go.

Thanks for feedback, its appreciated!
    As you said, I dont give a damn about dx 11 =)
  3. What is your PSU?
    Does that XFX 8800GT came with 6pin power connector?
  4. My PSU is some Dells thing, 300w if i recall correctly. I'd have to check on the pin connector, as i have not seen the card live yet :)
  5. If that card is required 6pin power connector then forget 8800GT, you will be more safe with GT240/HD5670. But going from 8600GT to GT240/HD5670 isn't give you big performance increase, only a little...
    If you can buy HD5670 then it's okay, if you can't then save your money until you can buy a new PSU+GPU.
  6. Ill probably go to my friends place tomorrow and check if the card fits properly..
    I was also looking into ATI 4850, quick google image search showed few cards that might fit into the case aswell. So I guess I will keep researching :)
  7. Don't forget, with 300W PSU, the best card you can get it a card without the extra 6pin power connector, like 9600GT, 9800GT EE, GT240, HD5670.
    Going from 8600GT to one of those card will give you only a little performance boost.
  8. Might go offtopic here, but maybe my money could be better spent at some more memory?
    At the moment I have 3GB, 2 work on 333 and one on 400mhz, pretty crappy ram actually ..
  9. No, your memory are fine, no need add more...
  10. I checked the PSU, I do have the 6 pin connector on it. If that helps any :)
  11. Are you sure Dell 300W PSU has 6pin power connector?
    I doubt it, really...
  12. I think so ..

13. Hmm, I'm not sure, but there's no way 300W PSU has 6pin for GPU.
    6pin for GPU is like this:

Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics