Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Delete portion of DVD?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:10:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Is there a way to delete portions of an already burned DVD?

If not, what do I need to do ? I saw only how DVD shrink looked at the whole
movie and then recorded it without giving a change to edit and make cuts.

I am using rewritable DVD's.

More about : delete portion dvd

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 3:39:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

But what has this question got to do with photography ..!!???
Wrong forum my friend.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 5:30:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ritter197 wrote:
> Is there a way to delete portions of an already burned DVD?
>
> If not, what do I need to do ? I saw only how DVD shrink looked at the whole
> movie and then recorded it without giving a change to edit and make cuts.
>
> I am using rewritable DVD's.
>
>

The re-author mode of DVDShrink allows you to set start and end frames of a
clip, but I don't think you can cut a piece out of the middle of a clip. You'd
need to use a video editing program to do that.

--
--
Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.
Related resources
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 5:30:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks, Ben.

'Can NERO do this then?

Or would you suggest something else?

"Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
news:362stc.5cc.ln@192.168.11.2...
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> Is there a way to delete portions of an already burned DVD?
>>
>> If not, what do I need to do ? I saw only how DVD shrink looked at the
>> whole
>> movie and then recorded it without giving a change to edit and make cuts.
>>
>> I am using rewritable DVD's.
>
> The re-author mode of DVDShrink allows you to set start and end frames of
> a clip, but I don't think you can cut a piece out of the middle of a clip.
> You'd need to use a video editing program to do that.
>
> --
> --
> Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia
>
> My Digital World:
> Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
> Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
> Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
> Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.
>
> Disclaimer:
> Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
> relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as
> neither
> given nor endorsed by it.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:23:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Why? Don't you ever burn your photos on a re-writable DVD?
I do. My friend!

"Arvin" <arvin.r@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1107419979.993178.62950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> But what has this question got to do with photography ..!!???
> Wrong forum my friend.
>
February 3, 2005 3:14:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ritter,

If you have "finalised" the DVD, Nothing can be done.
I even doubt you can modify already written tracks unless it were a
re-writable.
Marcel


"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
news:EfSdnbmUQYMaEpzfRVn-oQ@comcast.com...
> Thanks, Ben.
>
> 'Can NERO do this then?
>
> Or would you suggest something else?
>
> "Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
> news:362stc.5cc.ln@192.168.11.2...
> > Ritter197 wrote:
> >> Is there a way to delete portions of an already burned DVD?
> >>
> >> If not, what do I need to do ? I saw only how DVD shrink looked at the
> >> whole
> >> movie and then recorded it without giving a change to edit and make
cuts.
> >>
> >> I am using rewritable DVD's.
> >
> > The re-author mode of DVDShrink allows you to set start and end frames
of
> > a clip, but I don't think you can cut a piece out of the middle of a
clip.
> > You'd need to use a video editing program to do that.
> >
> > --
> > --
> > Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia
> >
> > My Digital World:
> > Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
> > Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
> > Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
> > Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.
> >
> > Disclaimer:
> > Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
> > relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as
> > neither
> > given nor endorsed by it.
>
>
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:07:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:23:15 -0500, "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net>
wrote:

>Why? Don't you ever burn your photos on a re-writable DVD?
>I do. My friend!
>
>"Arvin" <arvin.r@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:1107419979.993178.62950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>> But what has this question got to do with photography ..!!???
>> Wrong forum my friend.
>>
>
You can't simply erase random files from a re-writable disc.
What you can do is copy the contents to your hard drive, and erase the
disc, then write those files you want to write. Or, with the right
software (packet writing), you can write more files to the disc, but
you still can't erase files.

With a video file, you'd need to edit the unwanted parts out, then
re-compile/burn.

But, why re-writable? The cost is much higher than a burn once disc,
and the time to erase is pretty great if you're doing something else
at the same time.
I can buy DVD-/+R discs for under 40 cents each. Hardly worth the
erase time & extra cost of RW, to me.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:23:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

It IS re-writable, as I stated earlier.


"Marcel" <cosmar@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:6o-dncMW-Jn_xp_fRVn-jw@rogers.com...
> Ritter,
>
> If you have "finalised" the DVD, Nothing can be done.
> I even doubt you can modify already written tracks unless it were a
> re-writable.
> Marcel
>
>
> "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:EfSdnbmUQYMaEpzfRVn-oQ@comcast.com...
>> Thanks, Ben.
>>
>> 'Can NERO do this then?
>>
>> Or would you suggest something else?
>>
>> "Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
>> news:362stc.5cc.ln@192.168.11.2...
>> > Ritter197 wrote:
>> >> Is there a way to delete portions of an already burned DVD?
>> >>
>> >> If not, what do I need to do ? I saw only how DVD shrink looked at the
>> >> whole
>> >> movie and then recorded it without giving a change to edit and make
> cuts.
>> >>
>> >> I am using rewritable DVD's.
>> >
>> > The re-author mode of DVDShrink allows you to set start and end frames
> of
>> > a clip, but I don't think you can cut a piece out of the middle of a
> clip.
>> > You'd need to use a video editing program to do that.
>> >
>> > --
>> > --
>> > Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia
>> >
>> > My Digital World:
>> > Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
>> > Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
>> > Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
>> > Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.
>> >
>> > Disclaimer:
>> > Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do
>> > not
>> > relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as
>> > neither
>> > given nor endorsed by it.
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:36:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks for all the fine detail.

I understand now much better.

The reason that I use re-writable disks is that they were suggested recently
when I bought the DVD BURNER TO TRY AND EXPERIMENT. Sorry, did not mean to
shout.

But once I understand a lot more than at present I will go to "normal" DVD
disks.

Thanks for the good advice.

"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
news:lr75015hhjp2p1tsbo3mffl2iuj10tkb78@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:23:15 -0500, "Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Why? Don't you ever burn your photos on a re-writable DVD?
>>I do. My friend!
>>
>>"Arvin" <arvin.r@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:1107419979.993178.62950@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>>> But what has this question got to do with photography ..!!???
>>> Wrong forum my friend.
>>>
>>
> You can't simply erase random files from a re-writable disc.
> What you can do is copy the contents to your hard drive, and erase the
> disc, then write those files you want to write. Or, with the right
> software (packet writing), you can write more files to the disc, but
> you still can't erase files.
>
> With a video file, you'd need to edit the unwanted parts out, then
> re-compile/burn.
>
> But, why re-writable? The cost is much higher than a burn once disc,
> and the time to erase is pretty great if you're doing something else
> at the same time.
> I can buy DVD-/+R discs for under 40 cents each. Hardly worth the
> erase time & extra cost of RW, to me.
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:50:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

As I said, a specific mode of DVDShrink allows you to make some changes,
otherwise you need a video editing program. Nero is just a disk burning program.
Google for video editor.

Ritter197 wrote:
> Thanks, Ben.
>
> 'Can NERO do this then?
>
> Or would you suggest something else?
>
> "Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
> news:362stc.5cc.ln@192.168.11.2...
>
>>Ritter197 wrote:
>>
>>>Is there a way to delete portions of an already burned DVD?
>>>
>>>If not, what do I need to do ? I saw only how DVD shrink looked at the
>>>whole
>>>movie and then recorded it without giving a change to edit and make cuts.
>>>
>>>I am using rewritable DVD's.
>>
>>The re-author mode of DVDShrink allows you to set start and end frames of
>>a clip, but I don't think you can cut a piece out of the middle of a clip.
>>You'd need to use a video editing program to do that.

>


--
--
Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:50:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ben, can you be specific since this is all new territory for me.
I use Google for search only. Does it have a video editing function
somewhere? Or did I misunderstand?

"Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
news:kp5utc.b28.ln@192.168.11.2...
> As I said, a specific mode of DVDShrink allows you to make some changes,
> otherwise you need a video editing program. Nero is just a disk burning
> program.
> Google for video editor.
>
> Ritter197 wrote:
>> Thanks, Ben.
>>
>> 'Can NERO do this then?
>>
>> Or would you suggest something else?
>>
>> "Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
>> news:362stc.5cc.ln@192.168.11.2...
>>
>>>Ritter197 wrote:
>>>
>>>>Is there a way to delete portions of an already burned DVD?
>>>>
>>>>If not, what do I need to do ? I saw only how DVD shrink looked at the
>>>>whole
>>>>movie and then recorded it without giving a change to edit and make
>>>>cuts.
>>>>
>>>>I am using rewritable DVD's.
>>>
>>>The re-author mode of DVDShrink allows you to set start and end frames of
>>>a clip, but I don't think you can cut a piece out of the middle of a
>>>clip. You'd need to use a video editing program to do that.
>
>>
>
>
> --
> --
> Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia
>
> My Digital World:
> Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
> Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
> Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
> Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.
>
> Disclaimer:
> Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
> relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as
> neither
> given nor endorsed by it.
February 4, 2005 7:26:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Ritter197" <Ritter197@Comcast.net> wrote in message
news:hJadnb8xfbsQXp_fRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
> Thanks for all the fine detail.
>
> I understand now much better.
>
> The reason that I use re-writable disks is that they were suggested
> recently when I bought the DVD BURNER TO TRY AND EXPERIMENT. Sorry, did
> not mean to shout.
>
> But once I understand a lot more than at present I will go to "normal" DVD
> disks.
>
> Thanks for the good advice.
>
<snip>
>>>>
>>>
>> You can't simply erase random files from a re-writable disc.
>> What you can do is copy the contents to your hard drive, and erase the
>> disc, then write those files you want to write. Or, with the right
>> software (packet writing), you can write more files to the disc, but
>> you still can't erase files.
>>
>> With a video file, you'd need to edit the unwanted parts out, then
>> re-compile/burn.
>>
>> But, why re-writable? The cost is much higher than a burn once disc,
>> and the time to erase is pretty great if you're doing something else
>> at the same time.
>> I can buy DVD-/+R discs for under 40 cents each. Hardly worth the
>> erase time & extra cost of RW, to me.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Funk
>> Change "g" to "a"
>
>

Ritter,

I use RE-writable DVDs before I burn final copies to writable disks due to
the fact the software I use *does* let me delete and modify files -- just
like Windows Explorer or other programs do with files on a hard disk or
floppy.

When I purchased my laptop, it came with version 5 of Roxio Easy CD Creator.
The external DVD burner I later purchased came with Roxio Easy CD and DVD
Creator 6. Since it was an upgrade, the program installed an application
called Drag-to-Disk that formats re-writable DVDs so you can write, delete,
and modify files on it with any program or with Windows Explorer.

If I use the 'Classic' application of Roxio 6, it burns the disk all at
once, and does not let me add or delete any files to it after that. I have
to *erase* the entire disk to use it again.

So I always format my re-writables using Drag-to-Disk now.

After reformatting my hard drive one time, I tried to just install version 6
without first installing version 5. Doing it this way the program never gave
me the option to install Drag-to-Disk. So I had to uninstall it, put on
version 5, then upgrade. Not sure why it worked like that.

I also use a video editing program that came with my DVD burner, Ulead DVD
Movie Factory 2, that lets you remove (snip and clip) frames from any area
of a movie (not just the start and end). Since I can modify any file on
re-writable DVD, I see no reason why I couldn't modify the movie directly
off the DVD -- although I haven't yet tried that.

Renee
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:14:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 04:26:40 GMT, "Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote:

>I use RE-writable DVDs before I burn final copies to writable disks due to
>the fact the software I use *does* let me delete and modify files -- just
>like Windows Explorer or other programs do with files on a hard disk or
>floppy.
>
>When I purchased my laptop, it came with version 5 of Roxio Easy CD Creator.
>The external DVD burner I later purchased came with Roxio Easy CD and DVD
>Creator 6. Since it was an upgrade, the program installed an application
>called Drag-to-Disk that formats re-writable DVDs so you can write, delete,
>and modify files on it with any program or with Windows Explorer.

That's Packet Writing. Nero will do that, too. It's been done for CDs
as long as they've been out, almost.
But packet writing doesn't actually let you delete files; when you
tell it to do so, it actually re-writes the directory, with the
'deleted' files not listed. The files remain on the disc. If you're
using RW discs, you can erase the whole disc to get rid of them.
>
>If I use the 'Classic' application of Roxio 6, it burns the disk all at
>once, and does not let me add or delete any files to it after that. I have
>to *erase* the entire disk to use it again.
>
>So I always format my re-writables using Drag-to-Disk now.
>
>After reformatting my hard drive one time, I tried to just install version 6
>without first installing version 5. Doing it this way the program never gave
>me the option to install Drag-to-Disk. So I had to uninstall it, put on
>version 5, then upgrade. Not sure why it worked like that.

Because the V.6 you have is an upgrade version, not the full version.
>
>I also use a video editing program that came with my DVD burner, Ulead DVD
>Movie Factory 2, that lets you remove (snip and clip) frames from any area
>of a movie (not just the start and end). Since I can modify any file on
>re-writable DVD, I see no reason why I couldn't modify the movie directly
>off the DVD -- although I haven't yet tried that.
>
>Renee
>

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
February 5, 2005 12:24:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message
news:14i7011jc6q52dnaf8b371k0a66uuo3eok@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 04:26:40 GMT, "Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote:
>
>>snip>>

>>When I purchased my laptop, it came with version 5 of Roxio Easy CD
>>Creator.
>>The external DVD burner I later purchased came with Roxio Easy CD and DVD
>>Creator 6. Since it was an upgrade, the program installed an application
>>called Drag-to-Disk that formats re-writable DVDs so you can write,
>>delete,
>>and modify files on it with any program or with Windows Explorer.
>
> That's Packet Writing. Nero will do that, too. It's been done for CDs
> as long as they've been out, almost.
> But packet writing doesn't actually let you delete files; when you
> tell it to do so, it actually re-writes the directory, with the
> 'deleted' files not listed. The files remain on the disc. If you're
> using RW discs, you can erase the whole disc to get rid of them.
>>
>>If I use the 'Classic' application of Roxio 6, it burns the disk all at
>>once, and does not let me add or delete any files to it after that. I have
>>to *erase* the entire disk to use it again.
>>
>>So I always format my re-writables using Drag-to-Disk now.
>>
>>After reformatting my hard drive one time, I tried to just install version
>>6
>>without first installing version 5. Doing it this way the program never
>>gave
>>me the option to install Drag-to-Disk. So I had to uninstall it, put on
>>version 5, then upgrade. Not sure why it worked like that.
>
> Because the V.6 you have is an upgrade version, not the full version.
>>
<snip>

ot for the op but . . .

Yes, that's why I thought to mention this in case anyone here wanted to get
it.

(Though that's probably not the case since I hear a lot of people hate the
program.)

I wasn't sure if I had the upgrade since the CD package that came with the
DVD burner didn't say it was an upgrade. But I can't imagine anyone not
wanting the packet writing capability if they have a burner, both for DVDs
and CDs. That's seems to be a good reason to get a RW drive in the first
place (besides the given fact you can erase the entire disk.) So it's silly
that a first-Roxio user who buys this particular burner would not get the
option to install the packet writing app.

and (sorry) another off topic point . . .

One of the reasons I've not been happy with Roxio lately is that it's not
really compatible with Nero. I've been sharing photos with my friend
recently. I copy the photos to writable CDs with Roxio and there's lots of
room left on the disc. But she has Nero and can't add to the disk with it
since it was formatted with Roxio. So I just go ahead and finalize it for
her. Even though writable discs are so inexpensive, who wants to have to
store a stack full of them when one will do.

But I'm not ready to give up my Roxio, yet. I'm used to the program and I am
otherwise happy with it.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:12:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Renee" <rr@invalid.org> wrote in message
news:iKRMd.1371$qB6.1113@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> But I'm not ready to give up my Roxio, yet. I'm used to the program and I
> am otherwise happy with it.


I had Roxio on my old PC. My new machine came with Sonic's software on it.
I like it better....

Good shooting,
Bob Scott


>
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 11:50:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Ritter197 wrote:
> Ben, can you be specific since this is all new territory for me.
> I use Google for search only. Does it have a video editing function
> somewhere? Or did I misunderstand?

Use google to search for "video editing programs".


--
--
Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this message that do not
relate to the official business of my employer shall be understood as neither
given nor endorsed by it.
!