Sign in with
Your question

Current ADSL Modem/Router Needs Upgrade for More Sockets

Last response: in Networking
July 7, 2010 3:36:39 PM

Hi all,

My current modem/router, a Belkin N1 Vision has 4 ethernet sockets, basically in short i require more wired connections than this. What do i need to do to extend this number as most modem/routers etc have only 4 sockets each.

I'm a relative noob at networking despite me being the 'admin' for our homes networking/IT stuff.

All help appreciated, thanks.
Anonymous
July 7, 2010 4:02:57 PM

Switch units will offer you the choice of 16 or 32 sockets to extend your router. These tend to get dumped by business users as systems get upgraded -- worth asking your employer's IT manager if they have a surplus one.

You may find more modest designs at a decent computer store, of course.
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2010 6:59:25 PM

So plugging a switch into one of the LAN sockets in my existing modem/router will solve the problem? Never knew it was that simple! Thats all!
m
l
July 8, 2010 7:14:44 PM

I won't guarantee 100% it'll work, but I know at my work, when we would do temporary setups, of course we had wiring in the building coming from our switches and into outlets in each location. So I would just plug a switch into one of the outlets, and then be able to connect, so don't see why it wouldn't work.
m
l
July 8, 2010 7:41:20 PM

Griffolion said:
So plugging a switch into one of the LAN sockets in my existing modem/router will solve the problem? Never knew it was that simple! Thats all!

Yes, it really is that simple. :-) In some cases (not often anymore though) you may have to plug it into a "uplink" port on the new switch... but most soho switches at your local computer store will work fine either way.
m
l
July 8, 2010 10:44:13 PM

As I understand it, the uplink port was mostly used on the old style hubs. Which you could use one of those, but generally switches are not too bad on pricing, and give better throughput.
m
l
July 9, 2010 1:30:32 AM

Correct, however some switches still might not support auto mdix... so I mentioned it.
m
l
!