Current ADSL Modem/Router Needs Upgrade for More Sockets

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hi all,

My current modem/router, a Belkin N1 Vision has 4 ethernet sockets, basically in short i require more wired connections than this. What do i need to do to extend this number as most modem/routers etc have only 4 sockets each.

I'm a relative noob at networking despite me being the 'admin' for our homes networking/IT stuff.

All help appreciated, thanks.

G

Switch units will offer you the choice of 16 or 32 sockets to extend your router. These tend to get dumped by business users as systems get upgraded -- worth asking your employer's IT manager if they have a surplus one.

You may find more modest designs at a decent computer store, of course.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I won't guarantee 100% it'll work, but I know at my work, when we would do temporary setups, of course we had wiring in the building coming from our switches and into outlets in each location. So I would just plug a switch into one of the outlets, and then be able to connect, so don't see why it wouldn't work.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

Yes, it really is that simple. :) In some cases (not often anymore though) you may have to plug it into a "uplink" port on the new switch... but most soho switches at your local computer store will work fine either way.