GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2.0) - BIOS version Questions

skaz

Distinguished
Hello,

I have the original BIOS on my motherboard from when I purchased the board (2010) and have never updated the BIOS, mainly because I have had no need to.

I was curious to hear from people that own this board and have updated their BIOS if they have noticed a speed increase during POST. And also if there was anyway to find out what exactly the updates entail besides the short description given on the gigabyte site. Or are those short descriptions the only things that the new BIOS has acquired?

Thanks for your time.

To update BIOS, u should only do that if u have HW issues or support for the newest CPU's ....

It will not make anything faster, its the placebo effect : )

skaz

Distinguished

The POST just feels so slow. I have quick boot enabled, all unused controllers disabled, motherboard splash screen disabled. To be honest it isn't slow to the point that I have to wait more then a few seconds but I feel that could be faster. For example my Toshiba laptop boots extremely fast during POST. I typically don't even see anything on the screen during POST on my laptop. Where as with the gigabyte board I see the drives and cd/rom load up on screen.

Time it, measure how long it takes for the BIOS to post without windows.

What's your mobo? EDIT: GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2.0)

skaz

Distinguished

Which is one reason why I haven't updated my BIOS since I've purchased the board. But I was curious on other peoples experience and if they did notice a speed increase. If something like the BIOS can recognizes a piece of hardware quicker, then that to me is a speed increase. Thanks for all your input though. I appreciate it. =)