Sign in with
Your question

P67 over Z68 for gaming ?? (single monitor, Crossfired 7970)

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Gaming
  • Monitors
Last response: in Motherboards
January 18, 2012 2:10:22 AM

Z68 or P67 for a new gaming rig

The rig will be for gaming only mostly (no browsing, no movie watching, no app using, no storage, no video editing)

here's the rig so far:

HD: SSD 160GB (no need for more since won't store any data, app and games only)
CPU i7 2700K (or maybe 2600K)
GPU AMD Radeon HD 7970 (will Crossifire in couple months)
Memory 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Mobo ???????
Pw supply Asus 850W
screen 22" 1080p 120Hz monitor.
OS win 7 64-bit

From what I read, the z68 wouldn't be such of big use to me since I won't be using the rig for anything else than gaming, hence the on-boad video feature of the Z68 should not benefit for me... I guess. ?

Should I be interested in the SSD Cache feature of the Z68 ??

Thanks for helping me ..

More about : p67 z68 gaming single monitor crossfired 7970

January 18, 2012 2:36:43 AM

I'd imagine xfiring two 7970s is a total waste and overkill for one monitor

Are you going to overclock?

if you're only gaming you don't need an i7 at all, you're paying extra for hyperthreading which is completely useless for gaming

p67 is cheaper, but they only have one board with pci 3.0, I couldn't tell you honestly I don't know that much

but you definantly do not need an i7 and the SSD cache on mobo is useless if you are using an SSD for os/apps. The SSD cache is more to speed up HDDs if I'm correct
m
l
January 18, 2012 2:57:27 AM

Delengowski said:
I'd imagine xfiring two 7970s is a total waste and overkill for one monitor

Are you going to overclock?

if you're only gaming you don't need an i7 at all, you're paying extra for hyperthreading which is completely useless for gaming

p67 is cheaper, but they only have one board with pci 3.0, I couldn't tell you honestly I don't know that much

but you definantly do not need an i7 and the SSD cache on mobo is useless if you are using an SSD for os/apps. The SSD cache is more to speed up HDDs if I'm correct

I won't go crossfire at start. It's something I might only do if needed in couple months/years.

Yes I wil OC my 7970 gpu.. I was heading to OC my i7 too.. but you say i7 would be OverKill ?

Thing is that all benchmark and based my opinions on were made using i7 CPU.... that makes me hesitant on going i5 since I have no idea how it would actually impact the gameplay..
Wouldn't going i5 with a 7970 be weird ? would i5 decrease FPS a little bit ?... FPS is what I care the most for... that rig will be for gaming only... nothing else.
m
l
Related resources
January 18, 2012 3:44:08 AM

benches have shown that the i5 matches and sometimes outperforms the i7 for gaming. Seriously the only thing you are paying for with the i7 is hyperthreading and its useless for gaming.
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:18:06 AM

i7 is overkill my friend thats what i planned on getting till someone told me that, just for gaming, the i5 would perform just as well. The only reason that the i7 is better than the i5 is that its capable of hyper threading and since you're a gamer you wouldn't really need it anyway. Just go for the i5 and use it instead for the motherboard or gpu since those matter more for your games.
m
l
January 18, 2012 5:32:51 AM

P67 aren't really that much cheaper than Z68 nowadays, you could pick up a Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 for $121.99 but it lacks in some features such as front usb 3.0 headers.
Though u can step up to the Asus p8z68-v Gen3 line for those features.

Repeating what others have said, i7 is not needed for Gaming. And you need an Ivy Bridge cpu to take advantage of Pci-e 3.0, although i doubt even the 7970 fully utilizes a Pci-e 2.0 slot.

Edited spelling.
m
l
!