Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can a Pentium 4 CPU replace my 434 Mhz celeron CPU?

Last response: in CPUs
May 17, 2011 5:16:28 PM

I have an older HP brio with a snail slow Celeron 434 Mhz CPU. I have a pentium 4 2.4 Ghz CPU and I would like to upgrade. Will this work?

Best solution

May 17, 2011 5:58:03 PM

I'd say you were out of luck here Slun , the brio will be far to old to accept that cpu and the slot will be different .

My advice is buy a cheap case and motherboard and you could use the hard drive from the brio if you want the programs / data from that drive .

If your unsure how to do this ask a tech savvy friend orin a store

best of luck
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2011 6:09:22 PM

I don't think so; I believe the CPUs use differnet physically sockets...Based on the CPU you the HP used, I'd wager its an old Socket 370, where early Pentium 4 CPU's were socket 478.

Actually, based on the Celerons speed, you might even have a slot 1...
m
l
Related resources
a c 188 à CPUs
May 17, 2011 8:29:35 PM

The 433MHz Intel® Celeron processor used 250nm lithography and socket 370 and had a FSB of 66 MHz, the Intel Pentium® 4 2.4 GHz processor used 130 or 90 nm lithography and socket 478 and had a FSB of 400, 533, 800 MHz; so no they are not compatible.

It is time to upgrade your system.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
May 24, 2011 7:17:51 PM

synthaside said:
I'd say you were out of luck here Slun , the brio will be far to old to accept that cpu and the slot will be different .

My advice is buy a cheap case and motherboard and you could use the hard drive from the brio if you want the programs / data from that drive .

If your unsure how to do this ask a tech savvy friend orin a store

best of luck

Thanks. I was just checking as I am only running Windows on the Brio for the purpose of using my Magic Jack for home phone. I am running Linux on my primary PC and my laptop and MJ doesn't offer driver support for Linux which really SUCKS! I will simply have to harvest what I can as the problem with the P 4 PC is that the integrated video connector has been ripped from the MB and is inoperable, and since the CPU is good, I hoped I could simply slot it in the Brio, although I had some inclination it may not fly. But techs do a lot of creative things, so I figured I'd ask. I will simply have to locate a MB replacement for the P4 machine.

HAve a great day.
m
l
May 27, 2011 4:21:46 AM

Best answer selected by slundin.
m
l
!