Shorted Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I was trying to replace my sata 1 with sate 3 cables and I believe I accidentally shorted out the mobo. Is there a way to test this out before ordering a new mobo ? The one I have is a Gigabyte "GA-890GPA-UD3H". When I power on I get no video signal from the card (HDMI)or on board through the (VGA port),No beeps whats so ever either. The cpu fan seems to be running a little slow but not positive. I have a Ultra psu tester and everything there seems fine.Similar to this one "http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1647108&CatId=5471"
Ultra Products ULT31553 20/24 Pin ATX Power Supply Tester

discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I also asked the "Gigabyte technical support team" the same question and received their answer. All is well and my mobo is running fine again.
Please do attempt to check and troubleshoot with procedure below:
1) Make sure the 24 pin ATX and other 8/4 pin 12v power both are connected to mother board ( if power supply only has the 4 pin 12v, plug it close to cpu side).
2) Disconnect all drive cable, remove all memory, take CMOS battery out for 5 sec clear CMOS, connect monitor to onboard VGA, test boot system with single stick memory on slot close to cpu.
3) If board be able boots, reset bios to load fail-safe defaults and load optimized defaults.
4) DDR3 using 1.5v standard, mother board bios memory voltage is base on 1.5v ( default). Check current memory voltage spec (printed on memory module label ) adjust memory voltage match under M/B intelligent tweaker memory voltage control.
For example: memory is 1.65v type, change memory from 1.5v to 1.65v.
5) Swap out other stick memory on same slot test again if board still not able to boots.
6) If board be able boot back to normal, reset bios back to whatever the setting for hard drives, reconnect hard drives back should be ok to boots back to windows.

Gigabyte technical support team.

discboy321

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
:hello: You know I did do a search on here cause I thought for sure it would have been asked before but could not find it. :( Should be a closed and locked thread on top of the Motherboard forum section. Sure hope someone from here reads this and decides to stick it there cause I am sure it gets asked more than once. :bounce: Thx kajabla ! . . . . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.