Sign in with
Your question

Can you use a PCI Express x4 NIC in a PCI Express x1 slot?

Last response: in Components
May 17, 2011 5:40:18 PM

Hello,
1.Can I use a PCI Express x4 NIC in a PCI Express x1 slot? 2.Broadcom NetXtreme II 5709 Gigabit Ethernet-NIC PCIe x4 with TOE e iSCSI, server NIC: can it be use in pc client machine? Thank you!
May 17, 2011 6:24:23 PM

Unfortunately no, however you can use a PCIx1, in a PCIx4 (the card won't fit in the x1 slot anyway). This should do the trick though, unless you need more ports than 1.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$28 Intel EXPI9301CTBLK 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI-Express Network Adapter 1 x RJ45 (PCIx-1)
m
l
May 17, 2011 6:36:12 PM

Ok, thank you indeed! Then I must find a server NIC that has PCI e x1 so it can fit in my motherboard's slot. That leads to the other question: is there any advantage using a server NIC in a client (non-server) home machine?
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2011 7:02:02 PM

Not really any difference, as the server itself has a faster bus speed. The NIC I listed above should work just fine for you though, unless you need more ports or a fibre NIC. Unless you really want to spend more money for no real performance increase in a PC.
m
l
May 17, 2011 7:09:53 PM

Yes you can if the 1x slot is open and the NIC supports 1x speeds.
You can tell by looking at the 1x slot on the motherboard. If there is an open path for the card to extend out from the slot, it will work.
m
l
May 18, 2011 4:53:33 PM

CompTIA_Rep said:
Yes you can if the 1x slot is open and the NIC supports 1x speeds.
You can tell by looking at the 1x slot on the motherboard. If there is an open path for the card to extend out from the slot, it will work.

Ok, I will open the pc on the week-end and check that. :) 
m
l
May 18, 2011 5:29:15 PM

IH8U said:
Not really any difference, as the server itself has a faster bus speed. The NIC I listed above should work just fine for you though, unless you need more ports or a fibre NIC. Unless you really want to spend more money for no real performance increase in a PC.

I was thinking about using a server NIC for MMO gaming wondering if that would improve latency and connection to the game servers. Example of what a server NIC can do:

Reduce server CPU utilization and improve application performance

The Broadcom® NetXtreme™ II 5709 Quad Port Gigabit Ethernet Mezzanine Card featuring TOE (TCP/IP Offload Engine) is a quad port Gigabit Ethernet adapter "able to perform accelerated networking on standard Ethernet"

TCP/IP Offload Engine (TOE) for Windows®, significantly reduces CPU utilization
Optimizing server efficiency and improving network performance
Total Ethernet compatibility - standard TCP/IP implementation
m
l
!