Can someone explain to me what latency means?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Yes.

CAS Latency: Time between the CPU asking for data and RAM releasing it.

--

Technically, lower RAM timings are better (example: 8-8-8-21 is better than 9-9-9-24). However, with modern processors the performance increase isn't really worth the cost unless you absolutely must squeeze that last percentage point out of your system. Get the less expensive CL9 RAM and spend the extra on something that matters (for a gamer, that would be a better video card or processor).

Higher RAM speeds are better (example: 1600 is better than 1333). However, that's true only up to a point. Once you get up to 1866 or so, the timings have to be so loose (so much higher) that there's very...

Yes.

CAS Latency: Time between the CPU asking for data and RAM releasing it.

--

Technically, lower RAM timings are better (example: 8-8-8-21 is better than 9-9-9-24). However, with modern processors the performance increase isn't really worth the cost unless you absolutely must squeeze that last percentage point out of your system. Get the less expensive CL9 RAM and spend the extra on something that matters (for a gamer, that would be a better video card or processor).

Higher RAM speeds are better (example: 1600 is better than 1333). However, that's true only up to a point. Once you get up to 1866 or so, the timings have to be so loose (so much higher) that there's very little performance improvement.

Right now, I usually recommend 8GB of DDR3-1600 CL9 RAM for dual-channel systems. If you're getting triple-channel, then I recommend 6GB of DDR3-1600 CL9 as a minimum.

-
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/287107-30-timings-latency-lower-numbers-worse

Solution

Yeah, its good and it supports XMP profile too.

SUPPORT FOR INTEL XMP
Intel Extreme Memory Profiles (XMP) technology provides a robust, profile-based overclocking solution for novice and experienced overclockers - easily overclock your platform by selecting the predefined profile in the BIOS, or manually adjust frequency and timings to extract maximum performance from your system.

No, when u OC the CPU, the result is there to see right away.

With RAM, it will not be noticeable to your eye in most cases. Only in the benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.