Sign in with
Your question

Weird shutting down and freezing problem

Last response: in Components
May 17, 2011 7:17:42 PM

Hello,recently a lot of weird stuff started to happen to my pc,also i am not a pc genious or anything like that,i just need some help quick!
So here's what happens:
When i turn on my pc the lights are on,and everything,i can hear the fans,and after a few seconds it doesn't go into bios,it just shuts down and then turns on,shuts down,and so on,and so on...Other times when i menage to turn it on windows starts as usuall,but after few minutes the screen freezes,and sometimes i boot it and it works normally,it's really weird.The same thing happened to my pc 2 years ago,i was really interested to find out what was causing the problem,i discovered that there was a conflict in motherboard so i couldn't have my headphones and speakers pluged in at the same time.And now it returned,plz help! :( 
May 18, 2011 2:15:37 AM

i think it is something to do with your psu.Either your wall socket may not have proper grounding etc.You could try to test your psu first.
May 18, 2011 6:59:19 AM

Can you give us some insight of your rig?
I mean like what parts, type of power supply etc.
Related resources
May 18, 2011 10:43:05 AM

I have:
Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit
2gb ram ddr3
Intel(R)Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 2.2Ghz
Ati HD3650top
And a 300-350 power supply,not sure what model though.
May 18, 2011 10:44:40 AM

I tested a new psu and i still have the same problem.
May 18, 2011 2:41:51 PM

300watts should be lots of power for your system. Still can not rule out electrical issues, but moving the pc can check this. There are also testers with 3 lights that test a plug to make sure it is wired right.

There are many things that can go wrong. I would start with memory as i find it temps to cause lots of issues

I recommend testing the memory if you can with memtest86+(best to let it run for at least a few tests, ANY error is a bad error)

If you have another computer that works go get the cd image here.
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

That cd is bootable, so you will have to get it to enter the bios to set cd/dvd as the primary boot device.

You may also try just one stock of memory at a time, just in case one is either bad, or just not seated in the slot right.

It is not likely, but maybe the video card is having issues, do you have a spare to test? All this is going to be is parts testing.

It may not hurt to even reset the bios with the clear_rtc or cmos_clr jumper on the board.
May 18, 2011 2:43:57 PM

A bad hdd will also cause the problems you've described.
May 18, 2011 2:50:02 PM

nukemaster said:
300watts should be lots of power for your system. Still can not rule out electrical issues, but moving the pc can check this. There are also testers with 3 lights that test a plug to make sure it is wired right.

There are many things that can go wrong. I would start with memory as i find it temps to cause lots of issues

I recommend testing the memory if you can with memtest86+(best to let it run for at least a few tests, ANY error is a bad error)

If you have another computer that works go get the cd image here.
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

That cd is bootable, so you will have to get it to enter the bios to set cd/dvd as the primary boot device.

You may also try just one stock of memory at a time, just in case one is either bad, or just not seated in the slot right.

It is not likely, but maybe the video card is having issues, do you have a spare to test? All this is going to be is parts testing.

It may not hurt to even reset the bios with the clear_rtc or cmos_clr jumper on the board.

Thx for the reply,i think the issue was the graphics card,i got an error after a freeze when i turned my pc in action center,here's the pic:

also i tried to reset the bios and i still had the same problem,i'll send some more information later.
May 18, 2011 2:59:23 PM

Looks like a virus to me.
Run an updated Malwarebytes full scan in safemode.
May 18, 2011 3:31:58 PM

davcon said:
Looks like a virus to me.
Run an updated Malwarebytes full scan in safemode.

It's not a virus,i scanned with avira and super anti spyware in safe mode,even though i had only 1 trojan,after i removed it i still had the problem.Also it stopped freezing now :ouch:  ,dunno why but i tried to restart it and it booted fine agin,i just don't know what is causing the problem.It's returning after some period of time, :??:  .
May 18, 2011 3:38:25 PM

I forgot to mention why i know it's not a virus,if it was a virus my pc would still be able to boot normally(without powering on,and off,and on...)into bios but it wouldn't be able to boot into the system it self.I am not sure what is causing the freezing problem and the starting problem at the same time,it may be that my motherboard and my graphics card are broken at the same time. :cry: 
May 18, 2011 3:38:27 PM

I'd still run Malwarebytes.
I'd also run a sfc/scannow of hdd.
Paperclip test the psu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4
Memtest86+ ram one stick at a time.
Uninstall gpu drivers =reinstall
Reset cmos/bios
May 20, 2011 9:07:55 PM

the problem is that your not switching your PC off properly, you must be switching it off by the power button or the socket. To fix this you just simply need to re-install Windows.
May 21, 2011 7:31:54 PM

johnpaul182 said:
the problem is that your not switching your PC off properly, you must be switching it off by the power button or the socket. To fix this you just simply need to re-install Windows.

I am switching off my pc properly.
May 21, 2011 8:10:19 PM

Nope,i think i solved the problem with the freezes,they were caused because when i was playing my pc electricity dissapeared for few hours and it shut down my pc,so i guess my graphics card drivers got screwed,once i uninstalled them no freezes,and btw when i was checking is everything plugged in properly on my pc it turned out that i had my speakers plugged in at the same time as headphones(i think :pfff:  )by acciednt,then i got pissed and unplugged everything cause my pc didn't want to power on for a few hours cause the bios was gliched out,once i plugged everything back,without the speakers it worked great,and so far no freezes and no problems,anyway,thx for help guys :sweat: 
May 21, 2011 8:16:36 PM

That's great! glad to hear it. you could be nice and close the thread - hint hint!:) 
!