Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU upgrade options

Last response: in CPUs
May 17, 2011 7:56:35 PM

I purchaed an ACER M3910 and have been fine with the performace so far but I was wondering what other processors would work with the mainboard.

Here is what I know about the system:

CPU Socket Supports the LGA1156 Intel Lynnfield/Havendale/Clarkdale processors

Processor
• Socket Type: Intel Socket T LGA 1156 pin
• Socket Quantity: 1
• Processor Type:
• Intel Lynnfield / Clarkdale
• FMB
• 95W + 65W FMB

Chipset
• PCH: Intel H57
• Design Criteria:
• Must meet Intel Lynnfield and Clarkdale platform design guides
• Super I/O: ITE8720
• Should support Intel ASFC
• Should support Intel PECI

I was hoping to upgrade to an i5 or i7 quad core when prices fall.

Thanks in advance

Toby

More about : cpu upgrade options

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 17, 2011 9:01:32 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1156
You can handle the i7-800s, the i5-600s and -700s, and the i3-500s.
I wouldn't advise getting the old i7s. They're just too expensive for their performance compared to Sandy Bridge. If you're spending that kind of money, you could get a new mobo and a 2500k or something.
The others are also comparatively expensive, but not enough to justify getting a new mobo.
How much power do you need, and what kind of budget do you have?
a c 188 à CPUs
a b å Intel
May 17, 2011 9:28:36 PM

To upgrade to the Intel® Core™ i5-760 that would run you about $210 from newegg.com. On the other hand if you were to upgrade to the Intel Core i3-2100 and a H67 for almost that same amount of money. Or you could pick up an Intel Core i5-2500K and a mid-level ASRock or MSI P67 board for around $350 and have just about the best gaming processor you could put your hands on.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 17, 2011 9:38:21 PM

kajabla said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1156
You can handle the i7-800s, the i5-600s and -700s, and the i3-500s.
I wouldn't advise getting the old i7s. They're just too expensive for their performance compared to Sandy Bridge. If you're spending that kind of money, you could get a new mobo and a 2500k or something.
The others are also comparatively expensive, but not enough to justify getting a new mobo.
How much power do you need, and what kind of budget do you have?

I dont really need that much power, I game and run pro tools. I was just thinking about my next upgrade. I have plenty of ram and a great GPU. The weak link in my system in the i3. By the end of the year I want to upgrade the processor. I was hoping the i7-800s and the i5-600s will come down in price. Can my MB support quad core?
m
l
May 24, 2011 3:44:55 AM

Best answer selected by tobyrhodges.
m
l
!