Which motherboard should i buy for the new desktop i'm building?

Imadthemad

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I used to buy complete systems but since i started reading alot about hardware in the past year and grew an interest, i decided my next computer (which i'm buying now) i will be buying part by part.

So in building my new desktop so far this is what i have (bought them and am using them in my current desktop until i buy the new one):
-PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 700W PSU
-VGA: Palit 550Ti 1GB DDR5
I have a SATA I hard disk im gonna drop, and a SATA II hard disk im gonna keep.

This is what i've decided i'm gonna buy:
-SATA 3 750GB hard disk to use as my primary
-Thermaltake case with single easy dock HDD system and a decent cooling system (fans not liquid)
-CPU: Intel i7 2600 CPU 3.4 GHz (i might change my mind and get the 2600k as i read it has overclocking advantages, but im not sure i will ever try overclocking as i've never done so before)

What remains is the RAM and the motherboard

I'm a programmer and i use microsoft visual basic 2008 and 2010 which is a hard memory hogger.

I need to pick my RAM and motherboard from this website (it's the best\cheapest computer hardware store in my country)

http://www.pcandparts.com/price.htm

could use ur advice as im not sure if i'm looking for a H or P or Z board, and whether i should go intel or gigabyte or asus or whatnot.

Also, with DDR3 ram, what is the difference between 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz+? Is the difference significant enough for the price difference because if so i'm willing to splurge on the RAM for a better performing computer.

Thanks in advance for your help!

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
- Due to high HD prices you should keep as long as possible your old drives.

- I have a Cooler Master 690 II Advanced. Have a nice dock HDD system, have a look at it and see if you like.

- Besides the OC difference in k and non k cpus there's others differences, for example, regarding some virtualization instructions. Check the intel ark (type this into google) and compare the 2 cpus. Check all differences and see which one is the best for your usage

- For sandy-bridge architecture you won't have performace gains going for DDR3-1600. If the price is the same don't hurt to get the 1600 though.

- Basically = P mobos + H mobos + extras = Z mobos, again, at intel ark you can compare the H67, H61, P67, Z68 chipsets. You really should go there to compare them. There's a nice comparative tool.

- I won't give any 'real' advices, since I think you would like to compare these by yourself :)

Imadthemad

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
alrite i have compared the boards
and read reviews
and the reviews on the intel boards have not been great
i know they really dissed the intel HD graphics system, but i dont think its a problem for me coz my 550Ti is more than enough for my gaming needs (i'm not a hardcore gamer, more of a hardcore computer tv series watcher :p)

but then there's a bunch of stuff concerning boards that i dont understand when i visit links to gigabyte boards and other stuff. I dont know which RAID is important. I dont even know what mSATA is :\

I dont even know the basics of a board and why they are so different. I mean it's just something that connects all the real important pieces together as far as i know... Are there boards that turn the computer on faster than others? Are there some boards that (without overclocking) make better use of CPU speed than others? or HD speed? Are there some boards that are better suited for keeping ur computer on almost 24\7 (because my comp is almost always on)?

Imadthemad

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
alrite i have compared the boards
and read reviews
and the reviews on the intel boards have not been great
i know they really dissed the intel HD graphics system, but i dont think its a problem for me coz my 550Ti is more than enough for my gaming needs (i'm not a hardcore gamer, more of a hardcore computer tv series watcher :p)

but then there's a bunch of stuff concerning boards that i dont understand when i visit links to gigabyte boards and other stuff. I dont know which RAID is important. I dont even know what mSATA is :\

I dont even know the basics of a board and why they are so different. I mean it's just something that connects all the real important pieces together as far as i know... Are there boards that turn the computer on faster than others? Are there some boards that (without overclocking) make better use of CPU speed than others? or HD speed? Are there some boards that are better suited for keeping ur computer on almost 24\7 (because my comp is almost always on)?

TRENDING THREADS