Advice on a New Build: $400-$600

alexnharvey

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: 2/20/11

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) $400-600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Online TV, movies, excel matlab etc.

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) 1TB Hard drive, optical drive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg amazon

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: AMD AM3 (value)

Overclocking: Yes and unlockign the extra core

SLI or Crossfire: Not sure so no?

Monitor Resolution: not sure

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)I want to build a $400-600 computer. Best value components or combos sought.
Will be something of an tv/htpc, fwiw mainly watching netflix hulu etc. Other tasks are some matlab programming, spss with large datasets. Would love it to be quiet.

Case
Antec 300, haf 912, rc-690?

Processor/MB (AM3)
Considering rana 430 arock 870 extreme.

Graphics card
No gaming, so a gfx is not a priority, just ability to run monitor and hdmi tv (samsung 32" lcd) simultaneously and share desktop across both (so a movie can be watched on the tv whilst computer also used. Would be willing to unlock card if possible. Could live with integrated.

Monitor
Using the tv for movies so a 17" or 19" monitor is sufficient. Prefer regular format to widescreen.

Hard drive
Can take a 1tb sata drive from a external drive to save money. Would be interested in a fast smallish drive if a bargain is available, but can bide time on this. May add a SSD in the future.

Memory
4Gb-8Gb? not very speed conscious. Considering ripjaws 1600 DDR3

PSU
Seasonic for quietness

CPU cooler
Quiet, maybe xigmatek s1283

No OS necessary, will be dual booting Win7 and Linux.

Thanks

Solution
Hey alexnharvey,

Overall that’s a pretty good build you got there since you are only going to be doing Online TV, movies, excel matlab etc.

For what you are doing I don’t think overclocking will be needed. I mainly see overclocking for gaming.

Again, for what you are doing you doing I wouldn’t worry about SLI.

For Excel I would like a large monitor like a 22" or 24"!

If you are going to be using somewhat of a tv/htpc you may want to consider a tv tuner card. You can get a cheap one just for regular TV and use Windows Media Center. Netflix and much more build in.

I don’t think noise will be a problem.

Lastly, you may want to make sure you have room to expand on your system later down the road. For instance, you see a nice game...

alexnharvey

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
cart.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions?

spyke562

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Hey alexnharvey,

Overall that’s a pretty good build you got there since you are only going to be doing Online TV, movies, excel matlab etc.

For what you are doing I don’t think overclocking will be needed. I mainly see overclocking for gaming.

Again, for what you are doing you doing I wouldn’t worry about SLI.

For Excel I would like a large monitor like a 22" or 24"!

If you are going to be using somewhat of a tv/htpc you may want to consider a tv tuner card. You can get a cheap one just for regular TV and use Windows Media Center. Netflix and much more build in.

I don’t think noise will be a problem.

Lastly, you may want to make sure you have room to expand on your system later down the road. For instance, you see a nice game and need a nice video card :) That said make sure you have a large enough PSU that can handle add-ons such as hard drives and expansion cards.

Hope this helps!

Solution

goatsword

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
You still need a video card. For a 1080p TV, I'd say a Radeon 5770 or even a GTS 450. For a 720P, you can probably get a way with a GTS 450 for ~100. The rest of the build is good, maybe even overkill. You could go cheaper on the case, like a Rosewill Destroyer and definitely cheaper on the mother board. I like the Biostar A770E3. It's only $40 at Microcenter.