jesse_25

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
I would like some information as to how I could a build a mid/high end computer for office type work. I don't know much about computer parts but here is what I would like for it to be.

* I would like the motherboard to be able to upgrade processors with out having to replace it when new one comes out.
*I also would like sufficient memory to have multiple MS-office products open at once and to be able to handle Photo-shop CS5.
*and enough drive space to house large graphics,videos, and documents on the hard drive

that is basically what i would like out of my CPU so if anyone would help with what i would need to purchase to build a computer capable of that please and thank you

Newegg has a 775 setup for $250 this morning as a shellshocker special. Would be perfect for your needs. It will expire in a few hours. I don't recommend trying to get the latest stuff for so called "future proofing". Just the opposite is what I recommend. Get some closeout stuff and instead of trying to upgrade, just sell it when you want to upgrade. It's cheaper in the long run.

Dougie Fresh

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010

With how fast CPUs and their sockets change these days that's not something you're going to be able to find. You can buy a good CPU that you won't need to upgrade for 3-5 years however.

Handling CS5 isn't so much a memory issue as it is a graphics card issue. No motherboard currently available is going to be able to handle CS5 at the "medium/high" end that you are requesting. They can "handle" it but it sounds like you are after something faster and higher end. If so, you're going to want to budget for a dedicated graphics card.

That's the easy part. Disk space is cheap these days. You can get a fast 1TB hard drive for $55.

I would start this build with a LGA1156 quad-core processor and H55 motherboard, 4-8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and a graphics card suitable for Photoshop. It's hard to recommend anything specific though w/o knowing what kind of budget you're talking about.

This is the list of testing graphics card for Photoshop CS5:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/cpsid_83117.html

It's a matter of finding one that falls within your budget. Any of the mid-range cards will likely do. Maybe 5770 or 5850.