Image Resource Comparometer

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 3, 2005 8:14:03 PM

I'm confused.
I've been comparing images from various cameras from the Imaging Resource
site.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

The images from, say, the Nikon8800 or Oly8080 appear to be quite a bit
sharper
than the dSLRs like the D70 or 20D. I refer specifically to the "DaveBox"
and the
ISO Resolution Chart" test images. I would have expected the dSLRs images
to be superior in colour & sharpness.

Is this becos the dSLRs do less in-camera sharpening to preserve image
information
and introduce less artifacts?

Would it follow then that dSLR images need to be tweaked to match (and
exceed)
the results from prosumer P&S cameras?

Assuming the Comparometer is an accurate assessment of camera image quality,
of course...

Thanks.

- Eugel
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 8:14:04 PM

"Eugel Yeo" <clean_uranus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
SNIP
> Is this becos the dSLRs do less in-camera sharpening to preserve
> image information and introduce less artifacts?

Yes, and the antialiasing filter used in dSLRs can have different
characteristics, and micro-lenses change the result as well. Also, you
are looking at the pixel level. If you have lot's of pixels, they'll
be smaller in output (otherwise the image wouldn't fit in the same
space on paper).

> Would it follow then that dSLR images need to be tweaked to match
> (and exceed) the results from prosumer P&S cameras?

Either that, or bump up the in-camera settings.

Bart
!