ATI Radeon HD 5670 and HDTV full screen problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

design1314

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hi, I recently got a new Dell desktop with a 21.5" HD monitor set to to 1920x1080 (recommended) with ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 video card. I have already connected my 46" HDTV to the desktop as a secondary monitor for watching movies. My problem is when I set the TV resolution to 1920x1080 in my PC desktop property, I will have an 1" black gap on all 4 sides of my TV screen, and the only way I can have the full view on the TV is to set the resolution for the TV to something lower, but then the text would become pixeletted. I really want to have the resolution to be set at 1920x1080 for both the monitor and the tv. I've called Dell support and they said that my video card is not supported to do that. Is this true? It's hard to believe. Is there a place where I can adjust or stretch it? Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Go into Catalyst and enable scaling under display properties for the HDTV. Drag the slider until you black space goes away.

What Dell is tell you is nonsense and probably a lack of understanding the problem. You are experiencing a very common problem with ATI GPUs and HDTVs. It is really a matter of standards and how different HDTV manufacturers apply (or not) them in a consistent mannaer.

Good luck!

design1314

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
COLGeek: I will try that when I get home tonight!

Here is what I found from google:

Do you have the ability to define specific HDMI input in your TV as PC type? I had that option in my Samsung 32" LCD TV and it let me get better control over the picture and resolution than other types.

Also try to reinstall Catalyst driver to newest version, but first uninstall old ones and use Driver Sweeper to clean any remnants of old drivers and settings. You can also use cleaning solution from TwL modded drivers.
After cleaning reboot your computer and install new drivers.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You don't specifically have to do that on your HDTV, but it doesn't hurt to do it.

Also, updating Catalyst from an earlier version usually doesn't require you to remove the older version (the install actually does that for you). In fact, I almost never do this unless I have a specific problem with the driver install itself(and then I use DriverSweeper). Your call. Not a bad thing to use DriverSweeper, but not absolutely necessary in all cases.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Understood. Did he install the version of Catalyst/Drivers provided by Dell, or did he install the generic drivers from ati.com?

What version of Windows are you using? Also, is it 32-bit or 64-bit? I'll send you the link for the software to download with this info.

design1314

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010

He installed one ones from Dell.
I am using Window 7 64-bit

Thanks.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That is the one and, no, you don't have to uninstall first. Catalyst will do that for you as part of the installation process. When you run Catalyst, you will get 2 options, Express and Custom. You should be fine with Express. When the install is complete, you will restart your system and you should be good to go. You may still have the scaling issue with your HDTV, but the first thing I told you to check is your fix for that.

Good luck!

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Always use the generic from ATI.

HDMI to any HD monitor/TV will give a black border. You have to use the Catalyst software to zoom the image to fill the screen. This is perfect for off brands that chop some of the image out. COLGeek you are right on!

design1314

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hi, problem solved!
I changed the resolution for my TV to 1080"i" in CCC. Then it automatically fitted the whole TV screen. I was not able to go to the PC section or mode in my TV because PC input is under VGA as I am using HDMI. That kinda sucked. Anyways Thanks for the help!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Glad you got it working. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.