Sign in with
Your question

4850 in Crossfire Vs. Single 6850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2010 5:31:20 PM

Hey Guys,

This is my first post to this forum. I've been scouring the internet for anything that can give me an idea of this particular setup. Although, I've come across a few benchmarks that rate them separately, I can't seem to find anything that directly matches them up.

As far as I can tell, these two cards, performance-wise seems to match up fairly equally. I want to know what you guys think and whether or not it's a good upgrade to go to the 6850 (for DX11, drop in heat, noise, and power consumption). Also, just so you guys know, because they had a great price on one, I did already purchase the 6850, and it should be coming in a few days from Newegg. That's not to say I can't return it if it doesn't live up to my expectations.

Just as a side note, I do plan on overclocking this card, and I do plan on crossfiring them (which I know will boost the performance way past the 4850s).

Also, here are my specs:

CPU: Intel e8400 (OC'ed to 4.0 Ghz)
Cooling: OCZ Vendetta CPU Cooler
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
RAM: 8 Gb Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400
PSU: Corsair TX-750
Storage: 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 in RAID 0
Western Digital Elements 1.5TB USB 2.0 External Hard
Case: Antec Three Hundred

I know I'm due for a system overhaul, but I'm waiting to do it piecemeal, and I'm waiting for the Sandy Bridge Processors, or maybe even Bulldozer, to come out.

This also brings me to another thought: will the e8400 bottleneck the 6850 (single or crossfire)?

Any thoughts or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 15, 2010 5:55:17 PM

You made a good choice. An HD4850 crossfire beats an HD6850, but not be too much. Especially if you're into overclocking, the gap will close and roughly fade to nothing. Scaling between the HD6800 series is great and is only going to get better as well.

You have a very nice overclock on the dual core, but it is just that; a dual core. You'll want to upgrade to a quad before you get the second 6850.
December 15, 2010 6:15:48 PM

Shadow,

Thanks for the reply.

Two others things I forgot to mention: 1. I'm running games at 1680 x 1050, and 2. I usually play only WoW, SCII, and mostly source games.

I figure that bumping up to 1 gb vram from 512 mb on the 4950s is a good thing. And I know that a quad core will probably have to be my next update. Again, I'm playing the waiting game to see what Intel and AMD is offering with their new platforms early next year.
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 15, 2010 6:49:57 PM

It's especially good that you mentioned that. Crossfire doesn't work well with WoW, rendering the extra 4850 rather useless. Source games? If you play L4D2 add me sometime (shadowwolf0189) ;) 

As for your resolution the single HD6850 will max every source game with all high settings. My HD6850 runs L4D2 @ All max settings (8xAA/16xAF) @ 1920x1080 with an average of 60FPS.
December 15, 2010 7:28:52 PM

Yeah, that sounds about right from I've read as well.

I'll definitely add you shadow! I still haven't gotten through all the missions yet either. Wanted to do all of them on hardest difficulty but it's tough to get a good team together.
December 16, 2010 2:03:42 AM

Anyone else have any opinions or feedback? I'd like to hear what you all might think.
!