Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading the GPU in my little packard bell imedia

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2010 5:37:07 PM

Hi,
About 2 weeks ago I bought a Packard Bell imedia A3523
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/packard-bell-imedia-a3523...
it came with a GeForce 6150se

I bought a HD4850 for it, not realising I've about as much chance of fitting a labrador in my little computer as I do of fitting my new GPU.

Good enough to play dawn of war 2 would be nice.

Or do accept it was a bad buy, salvage what I can from this system along with the GPU (and the Corsair GS 600 600W PSU I have too) and build a new proper sized computer?
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 15, 2010 7:02:00 PM

SO what exactacly are you looking to do,build a new computer or get a low profile GPU that will fit?
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 16, 2010 3:52:43 AM

The card won't fit into your case, right?
Well, there's nothing you can do about it, maybe sell that card and get a proper card that would fit into your case...
maybe your case only accept low profile card(single slot), like HD5570 or any other low profile cards...
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 16, 2010 4:02:50 AM

If you wanted to keep the card i'm sure all you would have to do is buy a bigger case.You would just have to move everything and that would mean recconecting everything which could lead to some problems.
December 16, 2010 8:23:35 AM

I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet. What's a good low profile card? Maybe I'll just put one of those in.
I don't think the card would even fit on my motherboard, there's some large components just beside the PCI slot that I think get in the way.
So, I might need a new MOBO and case, which might be worth it given I've got a fairly good GPU and PSU? I have replaced a faulty motherboard before so fairly confident I can do it.

Thanks for the replies.
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 16, 2010 7:22:24 PM

What size is the mobo?
Just getting a bigger case shouldn't require you to buy a new mobo,you would just have to move everything into the new case.
December 17, 2010 7:31:04 AM

It seems pretty small, I'll have to open it up again to check.
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 17, 2010 8:01:26 AM

Someone was having the same problem a while back and they were telling me that its not the length of the card thats the problem its the width.Would you say thats the same problem your having?
December 19, 2010 2:39:25 PM

I think it's both. Definitely the width is a problem, although that could be fixed with a new case. But I also think it's just too long to go on the mobo.
a c 214 U Graphics card
December 19, 2010 6:42:23 PM

hmm i'm not sure..i always thought mobo's were all the same they just put it in a low-profile case.

I'm sure someone else can give a better opinion on what should be done...

If you cant find a way then i guess u should just return it and get a low-profile card like the 5570.
!