Sign in with
Your question

Case fans and not enough mobo connectors

Last response: in Components
May 18, 2011 3:24:07 AM

Hi,

I'm building my first pc without any prior knowledge on computers at all..

I got a case with a 2 pre-installed case fans and am trying to connect these to the motherboard. The problem here is that there is only 1 connector on my mobo which is 4-pin. Both of my case fans have 3-pin's.. What should I do? I looked online for a splitter that converts the 4 pin connector to 2 3-pin connectors but I can't find any. Please help!
May 18, 2011 3:56:02 AM

My case fans are connected to the power supply using the Molex connectors that we used to use for disk drives.

If your motherboard only has one fan connector then it is for the cpu cooler fan. My motherboard had more than one connector but I went with the power supply connectors anyway just to reduce the load on the motherboard slightly.
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
May 18, 2011 4:17:25 AM

Yep! like cadder i've always connected my case fans to the molex connectors which you can chain together btw= multiple fans on one connection

m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2011 4:38:52 AM

thank you for the reply!

sorry if I sound extremely dumb, but do they sell molex to 2 3-pin splits? And if so, just connect that directly to the power supply im guessing?
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
May 18, 2011 4:42:15 AM

jason32894 said:
thank you for the reply!

sorry if I sound extremely dumb, but do they sell molex to 2 3-pin splits? And if so, just connect that directly to the power supply im guessing?

Yep! you just use the psu's molex connectors for case fans.
Do your case fans not have molex leads?
I'm not quite sure what you need.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g2/c251/list/p1/Cables-...

m
l
May 18, 2011 6:52:40 AM

I ordered 2 things: 1 cable that went from 4-pin to molex and another from molex to 2 3-pin

I think that should do, but in the case that it doesn't I guess I'll just get a fan controller?
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
May 18, 2011 6:57:02 AM

what case have you got there?
post a couple of pics if you dont know the model, but you should be able to connect the fans straight to your psu, as mentioned
Moto
m
l
May 18, 2011 7:23:21 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
what case have you got there?
post a couple of pics if you dont know the model, but you should be able to connect the fans straight to your psu, as mentioned
Moto

The manual reads: Vortex 36XX Series and this one's apparently the Maxcube 36xx

The mobo that I have is the GIGABYTE GA-H67M-D2-B3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

sadly it only has 2 fan connectors, one for the CPU and one for the system. :(  why can't there be a few more? I'm heavily dissapointed
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 18, 2011 7:27:26 AM

check your psu it may have 3 pin connectors so you can attach them directly to it rather than the motherboard. if it doesnt then you can but 3 pin to 4pin molex like other may have said. there about a £1/$1 each.
m
l
!