Setting bios to xhd will not boot harddrive

emperor8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hi

I need help. I have a Z68 AP D3 gigabyte mother board with Smart Responce capable. I have a 1 t sata HD and a 64 SSD. Trying to set up Smart Response.

Gigabyte show a simple video to make it work. But not working for me. As soon as the bios are set to xHD, my windows no longer works. It say operation system is missing. But after change back to AHCI, windows works again.

Installing Intel Smart Response also cause Windows to crash. At boot up, the intial 4 lights that forms the window logo at boot up freeze, then the death blue screen shows up. Need to repair windows again.

Tried setting bios to xHD and install new windows, but windows cannot recogize any of the HD while on xHD. Drivers for RAID found on my motherboard CD does not work either.

Tried to change cables to Sata 3 port only, also not working. Sata port 2 also not working. why cant' my system read xHD configuration? Am I missing a module or hardware?

thankx

G

you don't need to enable xhd. I believe its for raid. You can't do raid since you only have 1 hdd and 1 ssd. It should be set to ahci.

Don't know why Intel smart responce doesn't work...

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
As i understand it, xhd is the raid utility or raid technology, you need 2 hard drives for this, in a raid 0 setup, prefferably both with the same size in gigabytes, same speed.. etc.

in order to setup a raid, you need 2 hard drives, and you cant have an OS on either one, you have to launch the windows 7 installer, and during installation, load the driver for it

for smart response, i think you need to plug in a cache card into the motherboard, a mSATA SSD i think? do you have one?

emperor8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Yes, i was watching the video. It only use 1 SATA and 1 SSD. my windows is in the SATA.
It say, using the EZ Smart will automatically set the system to xHD (raid) and makes the Smart response tech work. But when ever it change bios to xHD, my system stops. Cannot find OS. Then I need to turn it back to AHCI and repair windows.

emperor8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
you don't need to enable xhd. I believe its for raid. You can't do raid since you only have 1 hdd and 1 ssd. It should be set to ahci.

Don't know why Intel smart responce doesn't work...

this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHh [...] r_embedded
used 1 SATA HD and 1 SSD and used the EZ smart application from Gigabytes to automatically change bios for xHD for Intel Smart Response Technology.

emperor8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Got to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
need to set xHD but keep in non raid disk for both SATA & SSD drives.
Install windows on the SATA drive.
I was having problem installing windows, until both SATA & SSD are plugged in. & used the Intel Raid pre raid driver installed @ windows set up.
Reboot windows 7
Run intel respons technology. newest version in intel site.