Is it worth getting 8gb or 16gb of ram

mattman654

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
i am buying a new laptop and one of the options is the choice of ram, the options are 8gb or 16gb, for 16gb it is 200$ more, is it worth spending the extra 200$ for the ram or is 8gb of ram enough, by the way, the purpose of my new computer will be for gaming and i want to get the right specs so all games will run nice and will no lag.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I went from 2gb to 8gb, I don't think more then 6gb would be needed for anygame. 8gb is more then enough.

get 8gb take money saved and spend the money on a faster SSD which will make your games faster.

Computer Man

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

It is worth it considering the amount of RAM that is required by most of the games on the market. Any time you buy a new laptop, you always want to max out the memory and also get the fastest HDD you can afford. Before you by the Laptop go out and price the memory. Also go out and price out a Solid State drive and compare this price to what they would charge to populate the system for you with these items.

If you couple 16GB of Ram and a solid state drive you will find that the game will perform much faster. The biggest reason is that the solid state drive can upload the code for the game versus a mechanical drive.