Sign in with
Your question

HELP!!! Monitor Not Showing Complete Desktop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2010 6:26:43 PM

Hey all,

I have an HP Mini 311 Ultra-Portable that I will occasionally plug into my 32" Samsung LCD TV via HDMI to stream movies from my media server, etc. When I do this, the monitor auto-detects resolution and changes it to the native 1366x768. This is great, except for the fact that there is a very large portion of the screen that gets cut-off. It looks like the picture is somehow zoomed in or something and it is so dramatic that I cannot see the taskbar, or any minimize, close, restore buttons at the top. It's almost like the screen is robbed of at least a full inch of real-estate.

I've changed resolutions, etc to no avail. There is a setting in nVidia control panel that allows the user to scale down the desktop, but this results in non-standard resolutions that get scaled down by the TV and wind up looking like utter garbage. What I want is this: the ability to run this TV at 1366x768 native resolution and be able to see the entire screen.

Thanks guys!
December 15, 2010 6:34:20 PM

Forgot to mention that this is a:

Atom Single Core @ 1.6 GHz
3 GB DDR3 RAM (1 GB Integrated + 2 GB Patriot SODIMM)
nVidia ION LE (1st gen)
160GB HDD
1360x768 Native Resolution Internal Monitor
m
l
December 15, 2010 7:07:06 PM

Bumpity bump.

Maybe a zombie smiley will persuade you all to answer: :cry: 

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 15, 2010 9:40:29 PM

Probably an issue with the TV itself. Many times widescreen TVs have a picture size adjustment on them to resize images. I would locate this option on your remote and change it until it looks best.

If this doesn't fix it, you may well just be experiencing the pains of connecting a PC to a TV, which quite frankly doesn't always work right. Why? Because TVs have their own image processors that resize images that aren't the right size (smaller or bigger) to fit their native resolution.

:cry:  <--This is actually the 'cry' emote believe it or not. Looks like a Pacman ghost though don't it?

:sweat:  <--This is sweat, although it looks like a tear. LOL
m
l
December 16, 2010 6:59:26 AM

Did you try to extend instead of clone. Sometimes clone just doesn't work right, but when you extend even though some may still get cut off the screen you usually get more.
m
l
December 16, 2010 4:05:44 PM

jerreece said:
Probably an issue with the TV itself. Many times widescreen TVs have a picture size adjustment on them to resize images. I would locate this option on your remote and change it until it looks best.

If this doesn't fix it, you may well just be experiencing the pains of connecting a PC to a TV, which quite frankly doesn't always work right. Why? Because TVs have their own image processors that resize images that aren't the right size (smaller or bigger) to fit their native resolution.

:cry:  <--This is actually the 'cry' emote believe it or not. Looks like a Pacman ghost though don't it?

:sweat:  <--This is sweat, although it looks like a tear. LOL

I was afraid of someone saying that... Ah well, so is life... Time to buy a $1500 30" monitor to connect my $400 netbook to... (kidding of course)

:cry:  I saw that this little guy was the cry emote but he looks like an depressed zombie to me XD

kingnoobe said:
Did you try to extend instead of clone. Sometimes clone just doesn't work right, but when you extend even though some may still get cut off the screen you usually get more.

I'll try that when I get home from work. Thanks for the suggestion :D 

Anyone else have any input? Things to try?
m
l
!