High temperature in Toshiba Satellite with USB port

Hi,

I'm experiencing a weird behavior with my Toshiba Satellite 1800-750
running Windows ME. When I plug my IP provider's USB plug into my
laptop USB port (it's an ADSL link), the CPU goes straight from a
balmy 40 degrees C to ... 55 degrees C! The fan runs continuously.
There is apparently no unusual process running in addition to the
usual ones (or so says Process Explorer). I ran Adaware and use AVG,
and everything looks fine. Does this ring a bell to anyone?

I noticed there is an upgrade for my BIOS on Toshiba's web site. Could
upgrading it fix the problem?

Thanks for any hint.

Pierre
3 answers Last reply
More about high temperature toshiba satellite port

    Pierre wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm experiencing a weird behavior with my Toshiba Satellite 1800-750
    > running Windows ME. When I plug my IP provider's USB plug into my
    > laptop USB port (it's an ADSL link), the CPU goes straight from a
    > balmy 40 degrees C to ... 55 degrees C! The fan runs continuously.
    > There is apparently no unusual process running in addition to the
    > usual ones (or so says Process Explorer). I ran Adaware and use AVG,
    > and everything looks fine. Does this ring a bell to anyone?
    >
    > I noticed there is an upgrade for my BIOS on Toshiba's web site. Could
    > upgrading it fix the problem?
    >
    > Thanks for any hint.
    >
    > Pierre

    Dump the USB. The modem should have a standard ethernet port from which
    you connect to either the ethernet (LAN) port on the laptop, or purchase
    an ethernet PC-Card if there is no built-in port.

    On 23 Mar 2005 05:47:55 -0800, jouvelot@cri.ensmp.fr (Pierre) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm experiencing a weird behavior with my Toshiba Satellite 1800-750
    >running Windows ME. When I plug my IP provider's USB plug into my
    >laptop USB port (it's an ADSL link), the CPU goes straight from a
    >balmy 40 degrees C to ... 55 degrees C! The fan runs continuously.
    >There is apparently no unusual process running in addition to the
    >usual ones (or so says Process Explorer). I ran Adaware and use AVG,
    >and everything looks fine. Does this ring a bell to anyone?
    >
    >I noticed there is an upgrade for my BIOS on Toshiba's web site. Could
    >upgrading it fix the problem?

    I'd try the upgrade, even though I doubt it'll help. Usb is cpu
    intensive, use ethernet instead.

    Chris Hill <hillco@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<kvu241pj9iuph0nm6ukcnjks163bljq92c@4ax.com>...
    > On 23 Mar 2005 05:47:55 -0800, jouvelot@cri.ensmp.fr (Pierre) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I'm experiencing a weird behavior with my Toshiba Satellite 1800-750
    > >running Windows ME.
    > >
    > >I noticed there is an upgrade for my BIOS on Toshiba's web site. Could
    > >upgrading it fix the problem?
    > >

    > I'd try the upgrade, even though I doubt it'll help. Usb is cpu
    > intensive, use ethernet instead.

    Thanks to all of you. I'll go for a PCMCIA Ethernet card.

    Pierre

USB Toshiba Laptops