Best video card 'bang' for your buck?

hubbs_67

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I am looking at upgrading my video card (currently running an AMD 3870 HD). I usually go AMD - I tried to go Nvidia twice and got two dud cards in a row which kind of turned me off the brand. I waited until the 6800 and 6900 series came out and now I'm not sure what card to get. From what I read, the 5870 is actually one of the best right now, but I'm concerned about buying an older series card that if I wanted to cross fire later to increase performance that I might not be able to get one. Also, apparently 6850s in crossfire are better than the 6950 or the 6970, but then it's the same problem - no room to upgrade later.

I had been thinking of picking up a 2 GB 6950 now, and since according to the CrossFire forum two card doesn't mean double memory, I could later pick up a cheaper 1 GB 6850 and crossfire (when the need arises) but I would like some feedback from people that have a better knowledge than I do.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within a month

BUDGET RANGE: $300 Cdn before rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - WoW, but would like something that I won't have to replace in order to play Diablo 3 on highest settings when it comes out (please god let it be in 2011)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ATI 3870, Antec 500 Watt PSU (I know that I may have to upgrade my PSU for a new card and for sure would in order to Cross Fire)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: 3.0 Ghz Dual Core E8400 (plan to overclock after reading up a bit more on the forums, buying a new case - HAF 922 - next week with better airflow / room for an upgraded CPU heatsink / fan), P5QL-E motherboard

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: either www.newegg.ca , www.pccyber.com or www.ncix.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: As I mentioned above, have preferred AMD after buying two Nvidia cards that were duds and had to be returned.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680 by 1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Thanks for taking the time to read all this and help out someone you don't even know! :)

hubbs_67

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
That same card you linked me is $187 on the Canadian site (then a $15 rebate)

the one I linked above (sapphire toxic) comes already overclocked and has a cooling chamber that vents outside your case for $210 (and it has the same $15 rebate). would the overclock and outside the case vent be worth $23 or should I just stick with the cheaper card? Both are made by Sapphire, which I like - my 3870 is made by sapphire and I've had it for 3 years without a problem, it's just outdated.

The 'regular' sapphire 6850 for $187 Cdn:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

Vs. the overclocked sapphire 6850 with the cooling chamber:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102912

I'm not an expert but I thought maybe the outside the case vent would come in really handy if you ran them in Cross Fire down the road?

(hehe my questions probably confirm my status as newbie, thanks again for taking the time!)