Slow AutoCAD performance on IBM laptops

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 2:46:13 PM

Engineers at our company are running AutoCAD LT 2002 & 2440 on IBM
laptops like T-30s & T-41s with 1.4-1.6Mhz processors, 512K RAM, and
Windows 2000 Pro. General AutoCAD application performance is pathetic
compared to engineering concultants that come with Dell or HP
notebooks. Any ideas or suggestions woul;d be appreciated?

BTW: Our "Corporate Standard" is IBM equipment, but I still need to
help these folks out one way or another to get performance to an
acceptable level.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 2:48:54 PM

Correction - AutoCAD LT 2002 & 2004
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 2:49:30 PM

Correction - AutoCAD LT 2002 & 2004
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 4:23:28 PM

dave.uetrecht@dannon.com wrote:
> Engineers at our company are running AutoCAD LT 2002 & 2440 on IBM
> laptops like T-30s & T-41s with 1.4-1.6Mhz processors, 512K RAM, and
> Windows 2000 Pro. General AutoCAD application performance is pathetic
> compared to engineering concultants that come with Dell or HP
> notebooks. Any ideas or suggestions woul;d be appreciated?
>
> BTW: Our "Corporate Standard" is IBM equipment, but I still need to
> help these folks out one way or another to get performance to an
> acceptable level.

Clean up one of the units as a test. Disk Cleanup, check every
autostart program as necessary and disable in the application if not,
and defrag. Those might help. Eliminate all of the visual effects not
needed. Look at network connections since those will eat into
performance, particularly mapped drives. Autocad works fine on PIII
laptops and should fly on your equipment. System overhead must be the
source of the problem.

a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 6:04:05 PM

Hi Dave,
You may have inadequate video in your IBM notebooks but you would
need to know what the HP and Dell laptops were using to compare. CAD
applications in general are video intensive, especially when solid
modeling. One of the previous posters also mentioned cleaning up and
defragging your IBM systems and disconnecting them from the LAN when
doing CAD work. These are also good ideas. You could also try reducing
your video resolution if it is above 800x600 and you don't need it any
bigger for the CAD work. Also be sure to purge all of your drawing
files if you haven't already. They should be purged each time they are
saved.

Hope this helps.

Silicon Alley Computers
http://www.siliconalleycomputers.com
March 24, 2005 12:18:20 AM

Only thing that came into my mind is BIOS option ("performance" - or smth
like that .... it coul save battery life mode or top performance mnode - in
this mode processor isn't "slowing down" when not used....

Uzytkownik <dave.uetrecht@dannon.com> napisal w wiadomosci
> Correction - AutoCAD LT 2002 & 2004

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 24, 2005 8:41:57 AM

dave.uetrecht@dannon.com wrote:
> Engineers at our company are running AutoCAD LT 2002 & 2440 on IBM
> laptops like T-30s & T-41s with 1.4-1.6Mhz processors, 512K RAM, and
> Windows 2000 Pro. General AutoCAD application performance is pathetic
> compared to engineering concultants that come with Dell or HP
> notebooks. Any ideas or suggestions woul;d be appreciated?

What else is running in the background?

Both of those systems (T30 and T41) will max out at 2GB RAM, consider adding
another 1GB.

Try some 7K60 HDs.

Do you have your power settings set to adaptive?

I've been running some flavor or another of AutoCAD for years going back to
my venerable Thinkpad 600E. I'm presently running AutoCAD 2003 on my
2373-8CU T40 (PentiumM 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 7K60 HD) and have never seen any
similar system that will run significantly faster.

Why you're getting you're butts kicked running AutoCAD LT against unknown
systems is a difficult question to answer, but we've got dozens of AutoCAD
users in our Forums, come visit: http://forum.thinkpads.com and perhaps we
can give you a few pointers.

Regards,

James