Computer on Square wave Home ups???

darksmart

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Hi
I am planning to buy a home ups.I have a PC and Xbox 360(with separate monitor) to run on same and luckily i found a 1KW UPS system to do the job but the problem is, it is not pure sine wave (and is a square wave or trapezoidal waveform ups)

I have second option and that is to get a 800VA (near about 600W)UPS with pure sine wave.But problem here is that probably my running load will exceed the 600W(with pc and xbox 360 running simultaneously) and the UPS will trip as a result.
So will the PC and xbox 360 be able to handle the square wave input :(

pc config is

CM Silent pro M850(too much power, i know)
MSI Hawk 5770
Athlon X2 at 2.8Ghz
2gb ddr2
19" view-sonic monitor

Solution
Yeah that'll be fine. With "extreme use" I mean running the PSU at high levels 24/7. And even then the degrading wouldn't be too much different from regular use, you'll hardly notice it during everyday operation.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
The PSU will sort out these issues, don't worry. Remember, all the components inside the XBox and PC run using DC (usually 12V or 18V), and not AC (regardless of square or sine wave). It won't be a problem, use it with confidence.

hairystuff

Distinguished
The square wave thing shouldn't be a problem with switching psu's found in computer equipment, the only time I have had issues with squarewave inverters/ups is with diagnostic equipment, CRO ocsilliscopes, CRT TV's and some audio equipment.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
No not really. It can gradually degrade capacitor life during extreme use, but in PC use that's what you bargain for anyhow. Nobody expects a PSU to last for 10 years, if they do it's just luck.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Yeah that'll be fine. With "extreme use" I mean running the PSU at high levels 24/7. And even then the degrading wouldn't be too much different from regular use, you'll hardly notice it during everyday operation.

Solution