Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Slower Boot Into Windows 7

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2011 10:10:20 AM

Helloo

I've recently bought a new computer (well a few new parts) and put it together.

The specs:
CPU: i7 870 OC @ 3.53Ghz
RAM: 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3
GFX: GTX 460 1GB
PSU: Coolermaster 650w RP-65-PCAR
HDD: WDC WD3200AAKS-00VYA0 & WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2

The Hard drives, GFX and PSU are from my old PC and are fairly outdated (besides the GFX)

I've installed windows 7 professional on the 320GB HDD.
The boot times weren't "that" quick when i first installed windows 7, but i have started to notice that the boot times (load times?) have increased to about 15 seconds from when i enter my password to the desktop being displayed, and a further 8 seconds (estimate) to being able to launch relatively small programs such as firefox and msn without them taking a while to load.

Something else i've noticed (not as bad as my old pc) is stuttering audio at the login screen of windows.
I've read that there have been problems with the GTX 460 drivers regarding DPC Latency, but only with older motherboards, (i "used" to be able to temporarily fix this with my old pc by reseating the graphics card).

I also ran a bootlog and found that quite a few drivers weren't loading, i've also disabled programs from startup using msconfig to try and isolate the problem but have been unsuccessful. Have also tried a defrag.

Im at a loss to what the problem may be, i've tested my hdd's with speedfan and HD tune but they "seem" to be fine.
Im sort of thinking whether i should flash and update my bios, not too keen on doing this though.

I can post the bootlog if needed

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

More about : slower boot windows

Best solution

February 16, 2011 12:00:10 PM

NoSi said:
Helloo

I've recently bought a new computer (well a few new parts) and put it together.

The specs:
CPU: i7 870 OC @ 3.53Ghz
RAM: 4GB 1600Mhz DDR3
GFX: GTX 460 1GB
PSU: Coolermaster 650w RP-65-PCAR
HDD: WDC WD3200AAKS-00VYA0 & WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2

The Hard drives, GFX and PSU are from my old PC and are fairly outdated (besides the GFX)

I've installed windows 7 professional on the 320GB HDD.
The boot times weren't "that" quick when i first installed windows 7, but i have started to notice that the boot times (load times?) have increased to about 15 seconds from when i enter my password to the desktop being displayed, and a further 8 seconds (estimate) to being able to launch relatively small programs such as firefox and msn without them taking a while to load.

Something else i've noticed (not as bad as my old pc) is stuttering audio at the login screen of windows.
I've read that there have been problems with the GTX 460 drivers regarding DPC Latency, but only with older motherboards, (i "used" to be able to temporarily fix this with my old pc by reseating the graphics card).

I also ran a bootlog and found that quite a few drivers weren't loading, i've also disabled programs from startup using msconfig to try and isolate the problem but have been unsuccessful. Have also tried a defrag.

Im at a loss to what the problem may be, i've tested my hdd's with speedfan and HD tune but they "seem" to be fine.
Im sort of thinking whether i should flash and update my bios, not too keen on doing this though.

I can post the bootlog if needed

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,

I think you are just at the mercy of a hard drive bottle neck. 7200 rpm drive? That’s what it sounds like to me anyway. I know you can slightly increase your win7 boot time by turning off some of the useless windows services. I was really surprised to see some of the windows services Microsoft has added in windows 7
February 17, 2011 10:00:54 PM

Yeah 7200 rpm, and only 16mb cache (i think), and yes some of the services aren't needed. Well for me anyhow

But from the bootlog there are definitely some software problems, the harddrive im using for my os will be replaced soon by a 60GB ssd.

But im hoping the same thing doesnt happen with the ssd, hopefully its not the gtx 460 drivers or anything similar.

"Some" lines from my bootlog

Did not load driver @nettun.inf,%isatap.displayname%;Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Did not load driver @nettun.inf,%teredo.displayname%;Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Did not load driver @hal.inf,%acpi_amd64.devicedesc%;ACPI x64-based PC
Did not load driver @netavpna.inf,%mp-agilevpn-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IKEv2)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-l2tp-dispname%;WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-bh-dispname%;WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-ip-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IP)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-ipv6-dispname%;WAN Miniport (IPv6)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-pppoe-dispname%;WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Did not load driver @netrasa.inf,%mp-pptp-dispname%;WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Did not load driver @netsstpa.inf,%mp-sstp-dispname%;WAN Miniport (SSTP)
Did not load driver Logitech GamePanel Devices (QVGA)
Did not load driver Logitech GamePanel Devices (Mono)

Did not load driver @nettun.inf,%isatap.displayname%;Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Did not load driver @nettun.inf,%teredo.displayname%;Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Did not load driver @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor

EDIT: Just powered on my pc (boot times were much quicker), checked the bootlog and everything seems to be fine?
It seems to have fixed itself :S
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2011 12:25:20 PM

Good to hear m8,

Once you get your ssd installed your boot times with be so so so much faster.
m
l
February 18, 2011 12:39:13 PM

yeah thanks, im keen to get it
m
l
February 25, 2011 11:52:40 PM

Best answer selected by NoSi.
m
l
!