Your question

Questions about Lucid Hydra

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2010 3:45:52 AM

I bought a MSI Big Bang Fuzion for $160
I have Intel Core i7 875k @ 4.2Ghz and a GTX 460 @ 875Mhz

Now, I would like to know,

if I buy a GT 430
a) Can I play Batman Arkham Asylum and designate that card for PhysX, and use my GTX 460 for the game?
b) Can I use the GT 430 in order to give a 10%-20% boost to games such as Call of Duty Black Ops, World of Warcraft, Starcraft II...
c) Does Hydra N+N mode (or N mode, or whatever is called) is working now?
I know the first versions of the chip only worked with A+N mode, or A mode

I read an article in January 2010, it's been almost a year since that article was written
I can't find a lot of articles since then, so I need users or former users to give me an advice

I can still return the motherboard, I have 15 day return policy, so I'm sort of undecided

in all honesty I haven't tried it yet, I still need to buy the GT 430 (that's if it makes sense)

I think I will keep Hydra if
1) I can run Batman Arkham Asylum and Mafia II as I want to (GTX 460 for the game, GT 430 for PhysX)

More about : questions lucid hydra

a c 169 U Graphics card
December 16, 2010 6:32:57 AM

a)Yes
b)It won't give you a boost in performance,PhysX card only helps in games that support PhysX
c)Yes,there are numerous titles that work with "N" mode
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=852&type=expert
"For example, as of this writing there were 42 games on the qualification list for "All Modes" meaning that they would see performance scaling of some sort on A-Mode, N-Mode and X-Mode. The list includes games like COD4, Fallout 3, HAWX and Wolfenstein. There is an additional list of 22 games that work in "N-Mode and A-Mode" meaning that they just don't work in X-Mode; it includes games like CoD: World at War, UT3, Mass Effect and the DX10 version of Bioshock. Finally, there are a handful of games that will only be qualified for now in either N-Mode or A-Mode including Lost Planet (DX9) and Stalker: Clear Sky."
m
l
December 16, 2010 10:28:38 AM

Maziar thanks for your response

b) Can I use the GT 430 in order to give a 10%-20% boost to games such as Call of Duty Black Ops, World of Warcraft, Starcraft II...

Please respond to my question if you can

I just want to know, if I buy a GT 430, will that give me a boost in games like WOW, Starcraft II... (please note I wasn't talking about PhysX) in question B

The reason I'm asking is because I know a GTX 460 + GTS 450 will be a better choice, but I don't have money to buy a new power supply, so I want to know if the GT 430 will be worth it

Even if it improves by a little bit (10%-20%), I'd still buy it
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2010 11:28:26 AM

it will help titles that support dual graphics cards... but WoW and SC@ do not. with the hydra you might be abel to force it, in sli or crossfire you can force it through thier respective controls, don't know if hydra would allow the force through... btu to be honest really a 460 will crush either game in ultra, heck my GTS 450 plays WoW in ultra at 75 fps
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2010 11:38:06 AM

It will be a small boost, nothing to really mention in games that don't support physx.
10% might be the overall gain with a 460 and a 430.

I wanted to try out Fuzion as well, there was a nice MSI board for around 140$ that featured it, but I felt it wouldn't be that much of a gain for me.
m
l
December 16, 2010 11:44:32 AM

I'm going to buy the card today and let you know what happened :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2010 11:46:53 AM

rafarataneneces said:
I'm going to buy the card today and let you know what happened :) 

Awesome, I don't know too much on Fuzion, so it would be great to hear the performance gain you get with both physx games and regular games.
m
l
December 16, 2010 12:00:22 PM

dalta centauri said:
Awesome, I don't know too much on Fuzion, so it would be great to hear the performance gain you get with both physx games and regular games.

Yeah

Right now I just want to see if it works, and how well/bad it works

I basically want a PhysX card that I can use for extra boost here and there

In the future, I will like GTX 460/GTS 450

or GTX 460/GTX 560

m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 16, 2010 1:37:11 PM

Like I said,PhysX won't give you more performance in non-PhysX games but in games that support it,it's a good choice.However,with PhysX enabled,you get a notable FPS drop compared to when its disabled.
Let us know how it goes :) 
m
l
December 16, 2010 9:21:41 PM

Maziar said:
Like I said,PhysX won't give you more performance in non-PhysX games but in games that support it,it's a good choice.However,with PhysX enabled,you get a notable FPS drop compared to when its disabled.
Let us know how it goes :) 

I am going to buy the card now

Again, I want
1) A PhysX card that I can use for PhysX in games such as Batman Arkham Asylum
2) Use that card as an extra boost in games (World of Warcraft, Starcraft II...) that don't support PhysX (I will do that using Lucid Hydra)

That's the whole experiment
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 17, 2010 5:51:51 AM

1)It's fine
2)You won't notice much of a difference but it's better than nothing :D 
m
l
December 17, 2010 8:53:25 AM

Maziar said:
1)It's fine
2)You won't notice much of a difference but it's better than nothing :D 

Can I use a

GTX 460 + GT 430 on a 600 WATT Ultra X4 Modular Power Supply with 36AMP on the 12V rail?

From what I've read
the GTX 460 needs around 26A
the GT 430 needs around 18A

please confirm
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 17, 2010 8:09:11 PM

I think you need a more powerful PSU(for both cards)
m
l
December 17, 2010 9:00:09 PM

Well if I downclock my CPU to 2800Mhz and remove the DVD-drive I can test this

However, bad news, so far, I can't make Hydra work with

GTX 460 + GT 430

I am VERY surprised about this, these cards are both fermi, they are very similar

one has 333 cores, other one has 96 cores, that's about the only difference I see

I think GTX 460 uses the G104 chip
the GT 430 uses the G108 chip

please confirm
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 18, 2010 5:12:48 AM

Can you explain more? Does Lucid software report any errors ?
m
l
December 18, 2010 11:22:14 AM

Lucid doesn't works with GT 430 + GTX 460

I don't see the Hydra logo and the GPU 2 usage is 0%
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 18, 2010 1:35:30 PM

Try swapping the cards and see if it helps.(I mean if you installed the GTX 460 on the first slot,now put it in the second slot)
m
l
December 18, 2010 1:46:45 PM

I hope your not testing this stuff in WoW. As already mentioned, WoW doesn't do 2 cards. Dont know if it can be forced though.
m
l
December 19, 2010 7:29:04 AM

So SLI and Hydra don't work with WOW?

I remember SLI percentage was 0 with WOW
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
December 19, 2010 11:13:33 AM

No,WoW doesn't support SLI.
m
l
December 19, 2010 12:14:27 PM

Maziar said:
No,WoW doesn't support SLI.

Oh ok, can I ask why?

What about Hydra?
it say's it's supported
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2010 3:21:31 PM

WoW can be forced through hydra nvidia or catalyt control, if does not however usually scal nearly as well , usually you only get a small boost and with the 430 you really won't see any , with two cards of the same type expect usually a 40-60% increase not a 90% like a game that supports sli
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2010 3:34:25 PM

Your never going to use sli technology with a gtx 430 and gtx 460.
You should re-group. If money is tight, which you said it was ?
return the gtx 430.
Your forming your plans around PSU limitations, never a good idea.
You should get 2 of the same cards, I notice you pondered getting a 560 with the 460 , why ? There is no reason. You can't use SLI that way.
If you get 2 of the same, you can still experiment with hydra, and guess what ? :) 
It won't scale as well as real SLI.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2010 9:42:26 PM

notty he has a msi fuzion board with a lucid hydra chip, technically he can mix a 5970 and a 580 if he wanted to :D  or in this case a 460 could be matched with a 560

but for true sli you're right they do have to be the same cards
m
l
December 20, 2010 6:51:25 AM

Addict

why do you speak bad about Hydra when you haven't tried it yet??

I know SLI, I am a former SLI user disappointed with the limitations

Hydra actually calculates the horsepower of the Nvidia cards and renders the game using both GPUs

I think I'm going to keep the mobo even though Hydra will be tested later.

Right now I like

1) OC genie and OC Dashboard
2) Nice design of the motherboard so far
3) all 4 slots of RAM work
4) Warranty
5) Soundcard with Creative THX Studio PC
6) Hydra

So if I return my motherboard it will only be because I end up having two good motherboards so there is no point to keep one

But I do like the fact that there's something out there better than SLI

SLI is kind of lazy
you have to buy two exact same cards so the lazy programmers (don't want to be disrespectful but I hope you get the idea) can just program something very basic

One card one frame
2nd card the other frame

call if a day

Hydra on the other hand is a TRUE SLI (or, let's call it, a true mix + match GPU system)

Hardware supported

SLI is so lazy you have to connect both GPUs, so Nvidia just uses two exact same cards

Heck even AMD has less limitations than SLI

So I admire AMD and HYDRA more than Nvidia

From Nvidia I do admire PhysX, which they destroyed with the stupid limitations towards AMD

There is a reason AMD is winning on the market share, Nvidia has too many stupid limitations
m
l
December 27, 2010 5:23:47 PM

HYDRA SUCKS
HYDRA SUCKS
HYDRA SUCKS

That is my conclusion after a lot of money spend and meaningless refunds to the store

GTX 460 + GT 240 = NO HYDRA LOGO, 0% GPU 2 usage
GTX 460 + GTS 450 = NO HYDRA LOGO, 0% GPU 2 usage
GTX 460 + Radeon 5770 = NO HYDRA LOGO, 0% GPU 2 usage

I tried with Ultra 600 watt power supply with 36 AMPS and with Thermaltake 775 watt with 50 AMPs (or something close to that), on a single 12 volt rail

Overall, I'm just going to enjoy GTX 460
When I can find another GTX 460 1GB for around $150-$175, I'll buy that one and use it with SLI
m
l
!